Stand Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Does anyone have a calculator, or method to ensure that you use the right dimesion wood for a stand frame? I have seen 1x2, 2x4 and 4x4 and want to build a stand for a 70 but don't want the overkill of 4x4. I am looking to maximize - expand the under the tank space to support all the equipment I have aquired.

Thanks David

gillguy

Got gills?
Aug 10, 2007
Central MA, USA
Does anyone have a calculator, or method to ensure that you use the right dimesion wood for a stand frame? I have seen 1x2, 2x4 and 4x4 and want to build a stand for a 70 but don't want the overkill of 4x4. I am looking to maximize - expand the under the tank space to support all the equipment I have aquired.

Thanks David

just build my stand for my upcoming 55 gallon tank using mostly 2x4 and a 2x6 at the top just in case the house ever caves in.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
just build my stand for my upcoming 55 gallon tank using mostly 2x4 and a 2x6 at the top just in case the house ever caves in.

How tall did you build your stand? I was thinking of changing to 30" becuase mine is too tall now. I have the Oceanic Tech Stand and it's 32" but 25 tall.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
Yeah that's overkill. I have my 90gal built with just 2x4s and no center brace. Been holding up great. The key is not to have weight held by the fastener and to spend time finding straight boards.

Heres some pics. I didn't end up using the foam. Its not needed for a glass tank. Still need to make the doors. I used 7/16" plywood on the top because I had it laying around. It helps stiffen up the stand as well.

If you don't have a table saw to make the notches then set them in like the gillguy did. That way you insure the stand is level. I highly recommend a miter saw so you can get straight accurate cuts. This stand needs to be perfectly level when done. When setting the tank on top there shouldn't be any gaps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store