Sailfin Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angel626

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
We want to get a Sailfin Tang for our 55 gallon. We have about 65lbs live rock and we are using a Aquaclear HOB filter. Can I keep this fish without a protein skimmer? We have had our tank since April and my parameters have been great so far.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
A 55 gal tank is far to small for a sailfin tang, and just about every other species of tangs as well. I just recently released a sailfin tang back onto the reefs since it quickly out grew my 80 gal tank.

Chuck
Certainly agree there...

ChunkyMonkey

Goin' broke, tank by tank
Aug 6, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
www.mazdafreak.com
I just recently released a sailfin tang back onto the reefs since it quickly out grew my 80 gal tank.

Chuck
I'm not some environmental nut, but that is the coolest thing:headbang2: . Being able to respect a fishes needs like that. Nice to read something like this once in a while when you read so many stories where people go against advice and end up refusing to believe their tanks are to small.:angryfire:

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
15 inch fish, 12 inch wide tank? There is NO tang that will fit in that tank. A yellow comes close, but it's still a nasty squeeze.

Charlesr1958

Working DiveMaster
Oct 30, 2004
Philippines
www.chucksaddiction.com
The yellow tang is what I had in mind as a possible, but even then, thats pushing it a bit. I just wish peaple could see tangs out on the reefs, its like sitting on the side of a highway with tangs passing by and quickly going out of sight. They need and use vast areas each day. Even the largest of home aquariums must seem so small to them.

Chuck

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
A 55 gal tank is far to small for a sailfin tang, and just about every other species of tangs as well. I just recently released a sailfin tang back onto the reefs since it quickly out grew my 80 gal tank.

Chuck
I admire your action. and agree a sailfin tang is way to large for a 55.
but it brings into question some concers as well.
captive fish being release back into the wild.
I was always under the impression that is a bad idea. pathogens etc that captive fish may be exposed to.
not to try and be off topic but I wonder how others feel about it.

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I admire your action as well Chuck.That was a very noble thing you did.Not many people would have done that.
I also agree that the sailfin tang would not work in your tank.I have a sailfin tang and she is one of my favorite fish,they grow fairly quickly and they grow very large.A 55 is much to small for this fish.Tangs are large fish to start with when grown but the sailfin is one of the largest of tangs when grown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store