Blue Hippo Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peedub20

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I was looking at a Blue Hippo Tang here at my LFS. It is only about 1" now.

Currently I have a 40 gallon and will be upgrading to a 180-300 gallon within the next two years.

Would the Blue Hippo be ok for a year or so in my 40 gallon until the larger tank is set up?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I am a believer that we should not be buying inhabitants with a view to upgrade in the future. Things happen, upgrades dont arrive and your left with a fish that is struggling in a small tank. Best thing i would suggest is simply wait untill you get the larger tank, then get what want then..

Niko

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I bought a baby hippo tang {she was the size of a dime} for my 135 gallon tank and in all honesty she has more than doubled in size in the 5 months or so that she has been in the tank..They grow alot quicker than you would think they would.A baby hippo can easily out grow the tank in a year or less.

benvardag

AC Members
May 18, 2006
Well isnt the growth of the fish proportional to the size of the tank? If you have a 40g tank the fish will grow alot slower than if you have a 180g tank, alot less room to grow. Is this true or no.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Well isnt the growth of the fish proportional to the size of the tank? If you have a 40g tank the fish will grow alot slower than if you have a 180g tank, alot less room to grow. Is this true or no.
This is true, but not what you want to do. It's like keeping a 5 year old kid in a crib to slow the kids growth.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
What usully happens when you put a fish into a tank that it too small, is that its growth will tend to stunt. Is that so cruel we ask? Answer is yes. We buy tank inhabitants with only the best intentions of providing it with the enviroment that it needs, requires and deserves.

Niko

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Iit will eventually cause the fish undo stress as it will not be able to swim around as it would normally do.

Tangs in particular are constantly swimming around in the open areas of the tank, "stretching their fins" per say. In my 100 gallon, my Hippo is constantly racing across the tank in the front as if she is in some sort of race or something.

Maybe not the best cliche or example in the book, but you get the idea.

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
Also they are very fast swimmers and need the room to swim, mine is now in the 180 gal and I can see a big difference how he acts and swims. They are stunning fish and a great pet, mine eats out of my hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store