any info on breeding clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of clown do you have, and how big? Since clowns change gender from male to female in the absence of an existing female, you'll need to find the smallest clowns you can--it's got the best odds of still being male.

Once you find a prospective mate, I would setup a split tank, so they can see each other without contact. After a week or two of this, move them together into a joint tank. Then, they will both be new, and shouldn't fight as much.

Keep in mind that you do not need an anemone for these fish to breed.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Frank Hoff has a very detailed book on raising clowns, in case you want to try your hand at raising them.
In my experience, there will be scuffling as they try to figure out who's boss (the female), but it usually isn't too bad. That is species-dependent, though. What kind are they?
Another problem I have had is when one has decided it's time to make eggs, and the other isn't cooperating.
One trick that has worked for me is placing the dominant fish in a breeding net ("fish jail") for a few days. Usually mellows it out.

Joey D

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
So cal-Phoenix, Az
Visit site
thanks guys

I have 1 tomatoe clown that is only about 2-2.5 inches big. Good point on picking the right ones with respect to size. i'll just make sure the female i get will be no less than 4 inches. One more thing, my nitrate levels are way up, and ammonia and nitrate are always undetectable. Is my bio filter working too good? Should i back off on the stress zyme? I usually add it once a week with water changes, but now i think ill stop unless the ammonia and nitrite start climbing. I have a gravel (bio)filter, maybe i should let that do all the work.

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
I would highly recommend you get the book mentioned above or "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson. Clownfish go thru a larval stage that will not survive in your tank. They need to be removed and reared in a special setup.

Ray

MFish

AC Members
Aug 29, 2001
Suburb of Philadelphia
ORA also sells mated pairs of their A. Ocellaris.

Ask your LFS if they deal wi ORA and can order you a pair. [might run you about 50-70 bucks depending on the LFS, ORA sells the pairs for 30-ish]

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
ORA also sells mated pairs of their A. Ocellaris.
Sounds like a waste of money, unless you're in a hurry. If you buy two juveniles and wait, you will end up with a pair.

Speaking of which, my ocellaris just spawned for the first time yesterday, woo-hoo! They have been courting forever, but never found a spot to their liking until I rearranged the rockwork to give them a big cave. I guess that's why real breeders use flowerpots. Maybe some day I'll have the time and energy to raise them. They'll be plankton this time around.

JoeyD, nitrate will go up after the nitrifying bacteria get established and if you have no live rock to get rid of it. Stress-zyme won't do anything at this point (although I've never used it), and you may as well stop adding it. The only way to reduce nitrate is through water changes.

With regard to adding new fish, I would add a small, rather than a big fish. If your fish is already differentiating as a female, somebody will die if you add a bigger fish. Tomatoes are agggressive enough as it is. How big is the tank? Those guys need plenty of room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store