Sign of sick goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
I moved my 3 goldfish to a new to them 55 gallon tank with a new filter about a week ago. I didn't cycle the tank, but I added the gravel from a 10 gallon tank 1 goldfish was in and 20 gallons of used goldfish water in addition to new gravel and water. Yesterday morning, all 3 had a little of their gills peeking out from the gill covers, but when I got home from work they looked fine, and they did this morning and when I got home from work today, too. Just now I looked again, and the gills are showing just a bit again. Tested (API kit with drops), PH and ammonia were good (no ammonia), misplaced my Nitrite testing answer card so don't know what that was, and Nitrate was a bit high. Doing a 50% water change tonight. Is the gill thing a sign of nitrate poisoning, or a disease, or? Other than doing testing every day or 2 and keeping up on water changes, is there something else I should do?

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
test twice a day and do water changes as much as possible.
assuming you dechlorinated your water, the only thing i can think of would be ammonia and nitrites.

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
Yes, water was dechlorinated. Thanks.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
the gravel you added will help a little, but not enough. adding old water helps the fish transition to a new tank so the water parameters aren't drastically different, but there are not enough bacteria free-floating in the water (if any at all, honestly) to be considered effective for the cycle. you will need to do water changes daily because you will go through a cycle. i recommend that you post over in general freshwater and see if someone can take a picture of their nitrite color card and post it for you to see. 0 is blue, .25 is lavender, .5 is a red-purple color, 1.0 is light pink, 2.0 is dark pink, 5.0 is wine-colored.

basically, if it ain't blue, change the water until it is.

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
Oh, good, nitrate was blue! Still going to do a change this afternoon due to mildly high nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store