My Comet goldfish is suffering- Plz help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PlecoRising

Registered Member
May 14, 2003
Maryland
Visit site
He is about 9" long and used to have what was either an anchorworm problem (pimples)or some type of parasite. He now has some white, cheesy type stuff hanging on to the inside of the gill. Occasionally, he will go crazy and start banging his left gill against anything. He also just stays in the back of the aquarium and hovers there. He's also lost most of his orange spots! Thanks if you can help him.

KateA.

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
Okay, it sounds like he/she is in serious trouble, but the first things we have to check are the pH, ammonia and nitrite levels of the tank. Any medication you add will be much more effective if the water parameters are in good shape. Just from quickly perusing my health book it might be "velvet disease" which is commonly treated with Formalin/Malachite Green medications. What does everyone else think?

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
Malachite green is a safe way to go because even if its not the right cure it doesn't have any bad side effects on your fish and will generally help it a bit otherwise. If you have a digital camera take a picture and post it up here so we can help you better.

fredfish

AC Members
Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
aquarium salt helps too, not a lot, i use a little whenever a fish doesnt act normal it seems to help,one thing though is use this only in a real emergency, i have heard aquarium salt on a regular basis does bad things to a godfish long term health

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store