feeding court jester goby/rainfordi goby?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
This guy is being tuff to feed. I read quite a bit about how they can be very picky and starve. I want to feed him, I tried live brine shrimp to tempt him and he doesnt seem to bite. I do have some hair algae but not tons.

Any tips?! thanks dudes!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
You could try adding garlic extract in the food, see if that will tempt the goby to eat..Or try food from your local fish market like clam, scollaps, squid to name a few..

Niko

rodgeryng

AC Members
Sep 5, 2007
I did have a Rainford Goby that I lost after a year or so. My tank was two years old at the time; 30 gallon with @ 40lbs of live rock with a small hang on the back refugium. I did have some algae (macro and the a smaller amount of "nuisance" types) but he mostly seemed to eat amphipods (sp) that he found on the rock. He ate constantly but I believe he did die from lack of food.

I did read once that you could put a pane of glass in saltwater out in the sun to grow hair algae for them.

I don't have the experience to offer advice to most anyone on this site but if a friend asked if they were a good pick for their tank I would say no. My guess is that you would need a large established reef tank preferably with a refugium for these fellows to thrive.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
hmmm yeah, he seems to be picking at rocks and sand all the time. I do have a large population of micro critters at the moment. He'll probably take down that population pretty soon. He seems happy at the moment, so I'm okay with it.

Hopefully there is enough food in there, I know there is more in my tank that at the store. hehe.

Think he would eat cyclop eeze?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'd be surprised if he didn't at least sample the cyclpeeze but yes the rainford are known to be picky eaters. Another good reason to use a qt tank and get the fish eating before moving them in with lots of rocks and other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store