9-gal Nano Reef Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grady

Here fishie fishie
Apr 17, 2006
Corvallis, OR
OK, all you have seen these threads ten times more that I have. But still, this one is mine. Over the next month or so I am building up a 9-gal nano reef. I am using this thread to archive and solicit help during the process as needed. I have a couple of conflicting advice right off the bat from the LFS and the threads that I have seen before. I will pose those in a bit. First off my set up:

I bought a 9 gal nano cube with in-tank filter box.

Included with my $60 tank was the hood, powerhead and filter material.

I am switching out the powerhead that was with the tank to a slightly larger one. Unfortunately, that is going require that I rework the filter box. And that brings my first question. LFS says keep the sponge filter; however, I have read in past threads that if I am keeping only a reef - no fish - that I should lose the sponge. Replacing the sponge would be LRR. Thoughts? What should I pass the water through?

For a substrate my LFS suggested a medium size rubble over live sand. I am curious about this. Should I change out the rubble for an inch or so of live sand?

I will save the rest of the questions as they come up. I appreaciate everyone's help.

Grady

Here fishie fishie
Apr 17, 2006
Corvallis, OR
Good call. I have quite a large area for LRR. Fill up the entire area with LRR or just a portion?

I knew some of the info I was getting from my LFS did not seem quite right. What would you suggest on depth of the sand - 1" or greater?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store