20 2" discus for $9 each ... good/bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

olichka87

AC Members
Mar 1, 2007
west sacramento
Majestic aquatic sells 20 2” discus of mixed colors for 180 dollars, that sounds like a good deal, but seems to good to be true, even with the 70 dollar shipping they will cost me 12.50 each. That is 2.50 dollars cheaper then the cheapest discus breeder that I found who is an hour and a half drive from me.

http://www.majesticaquatic.com/2indiscusforsale.htm

They also sell on aqua bid http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwdiscus&1190851209,

My question is has anyone ever bought from them before? Or is it better to drive up to the closest discus breeder and just buy 2” for 15-20 dollars?

fwdiscus1190851209.jpg

Last edited:

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
discus in bermuda start at 100 bucks,you guys are so lucky to pay such cheap prices.

Dkarc

Orlando Discus
Brad buys his fish from local transhippers who import from Thailand.....Thailand based discus are generally not the best in quality or health. He buys them for $4-5 each from the transhipper, so he's not making a HUGE profit but a $4-5 discus 9 times out of 10 is NOT a quality discus. It is best to spend the extra cash and get good quality fish from a local breeder.

-Ryan

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Read that sellers negative feedback before buying from him. I usually base my decision to buy from someone on their negative feedback. I've had good experiences with people on Aquabid who have minimal or no negative feedback.

greyhoundfan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
San Diego, CA
save your money and buy quality discus. i'm sure Daly City is with in driving distance from you. look up Kenny from International Discus. You can not go wrong with his discus. He imports them in from top breeders from Malaysia; Tony Tan, Wayne Ng, Ung Seng Lep.

I've ordered from him many times and would recommend him to anyone. the red leopards in my avatar are from him and bred by Tony Tan.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I would recommend going to the breeder and getting 2" discus from a local source.
I agree with dkarc in that breeders from thailand are not the best source. they have been known to use hormones to brighten up the discus and other fish.
I have a friend who is a breeder and the fish he has gotten from Thailand were pumped up with hormones and the discus all but failed to breed. he did finally get some that were able to spawn successfully and the generations after got better at it.

olichka87

AC Members
Mar 1, 2007
west sacramento
Thank for the advice, I changed my mind about buying such cheap discus, I will try to buy some from international discus, I am only an hour and a half drive from them.

Also I’m a little confused, on their website ,http://www.internationaldiscus.com/NewArrivals.html they have the page” new arrivals” and they have some Violet Reflection, Super Angel Diamond, and Super Blue Angel the ones for 28 dollars, the others I ether don’t like or cant afford. Is that all they have for sale right now? Or might they have something else for sale?

Also I tried to find what those three colors would look like, but cant seem to find a good picture, does anyone have a Violet Reflection, Super Angel Diamond, and Super Blue Angel and maybe can post some pictures of them.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
they name the colors many different things..blue diamonds may also be cobalt diamonds etc.

those are juvenile fish (hard to tell the adult colors) lends me to believe these have not been juiced up..which is a good thing.

they may have more fish in stock you can try contacting them.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Reid - I pm'd him on Monday to go to Kenny's. Thanks for seconding that! Olichka, since you're going to be getting into discus keeping, it would be of great help to you to take a look at the simplydiscus forum too. Pictures of those 3 discus are posted there from people who bought them from Kenny. And yes, if you've already looked at the juvie pictures of those fish, they will color up a lot more as they reach maturity. His website stock may not be up to date, so it would be really beneficial to call Kenny directly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store