ready for my fist anemone..but which one?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

6speedchevelle

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Aloha, Oregon
So.....
I have finally upgraded my lights and I am ready to get my first anemone. But I could use some help picking one.

I have two clowns who I would like to host the anemone

I was hoping you guys could suggest one for me

tank spec's

30gal 24hx24wx12d
260w power compact lights
360gph filtration

thanks a lot
(for putting up with a noob)

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I am not a fan of PC's for any light loving corals or nems as I dont think they are enough but the only one I would recomend would be a BTA and you would have to feed it every 3-5 days. How long has your tank been running, anemones need a mature tank and it needs to be very stable IMO.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
WPG's dont mean a lot it is more about how the light penetrates the water and the amount of PAR that you get at different depths but with your PC's I think you could keep a BTA just make sure you feed it every 3-5 days because feeding them can help to offset a possible lighting issue. You didnt say but how long has your tank been up

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
yeah...I did some searching and found I havent had my tank up long enough for a anemone.

Thanks for the help. Ive got many months to wait still....:wall:
id reccomend not getting an anemone if you just want to host clowns in it. they are quite a challenge to care for, and IMHO they should be left in the wild unless captive bred. most clowns clowns are captive bred nowadays, especially common ones like ocellaris and perculas, and have no need for an anemone and may not even host in one. if you really want an anemone and won't be disappointed if your clowns don't host it, id reccomend a bubble tip anemone (BTA, try to get captive bred) or a rock anemone. rock anemones are arguably the easiest anemones to care for, though they are caribbean and unlikely to play host to your clownfish. also keep in mind that most anemones are VERY long lived; id put it in your will if you really want one. max, a mod here, wrote a very good article on anemone care. I highly reccomend reading it if you really want one.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
And also remember... just because you have an anemone, there's no guarantee that the clowns will host in it, although there is a good chance.

Mine never even went near the anemone for 4 months I had them together.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm glad you're not going to get one right now. I do believe if you want one in the future you'll need higher power lighting for it and you'll want to increase the probability of it hosting a clown by giving us the type of clown you have as different ones prefer different hosts. As has already been mentioned however, even then it is just increasing the probability there is no guarantee it will host them in the end. Some clowns ignore them and use a heater or powerhead as a host. Some use a patch of sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store