German Blue Ram problem!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cdubbz

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
:help:

Yesterday i noticed 1 of my rams had a white spot on its nose. I first thought it was ich. so i treated it with ich medicine. its still there today and looks like a soar. Its white. here is a pic. IM sorry for quality of pics. will get my digital camera tmrrw. ill get btter pics tmmrw with a camera not from my phone.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
GBRs are known to get this "White Spot" ailmnet. I myself am not sure what it is, but it is not Ich nor collyflower (sp?), etc. It IS a sign of a stressed GBR and is typically associated wjen GBRs are exposed to poor water and/or an acclimation issue.

My own GBR developed this (the other never did) and after a LOT of reading most concluded that this was an indicator of stress manifesting itself externally. In about 1/2 the cases, this is not corrected.

The best that you can do is to provide the best possible water conditions as humanly acheiveable and to remove any other stresses such as aggressive fish, etc. This persisted in my fish for 6 weeks and eventually went away?

Sorry this is all I know...

[EDIT] I caanot see your images at work, but I will check when I get home tonight.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
does it look to be indented into his head? if so, i believe its hole in the head disease. And its common among rams. Although there are some cures that people have claimed to use, i've never personally seen anyone cure it. My old GBR developed this and died about a month later.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
could be HITH..improve the water quality and vary the diet.

Robin Alv

Robin
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
My GBR has the same thing. Developed about a week ago - his head also looks a bit indented. I tried a general parasite med and changed the water but it persists. He (she?) is still eating etc I got melafix and prima to see if that helps. Today is just the second day of that so I don't know yet. I've got my fingers crossed.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Robin Alv,
HITH lookslike pimples that popped ..actually in the early phases it may actually look ike apimple.
hlle moves more laterally the lesions are longer. the hith usually has pin holes . they can get bigger.
treatment for these is metronidazole to wipe out any flagellated protozoa. improve the diet, some suggest removing carbon and always keep water very clean..do several water changes. and maintain a good water change schedule.

rams tend to require pretty clean water..which is one reason they pair well with discus(add to it warm water)

Robin Alv

Robin
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Thanks for the info It goes along with everything I'm reading up about the blue rams. I've never had them before. My ammonia was at .25 and I changed more water. The fish is not looking good and I don't think will live. I feed flakes, glass worms and blood worms an the temp is 81. Will the other one survive alone?

deadxero

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
They can be kept alone, but will not be healthy unless you keep up excellent water conditions. Rams are great fish, but many people loose them as they are unwilling to keep up the necessary water change schedule to keep them healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store