talapia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tHeX

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I bought a silver/blue/orange fish at a store a few weeks ago as an unknown south american cichlid called a "jewel something or other". After doing some research, i found that i have some sort of talapia fish. Shes about 6" long and growing. All this fish wants to do is eat and whip the heater with its tail. And this thing eats food right out of my hand.
Also, the day after i put her in a tank with a striped raphiel cat,a small pleco and an chinese algea eater, i found a bunch of babies. I think they are from the talapia. But at any rate, i set them up in a fry net and they are growing, but slow, so i still can't make out for sure what they are. Oh yea, another theory we are throwing around is that we put some banana plants in the tank and maybe there was eggs attached to them or something.
Does anyone have any info on keeping them in a tank? All the info i have found is about cooking them or farming them, don't want to do either. Right now hes set up like a SA cichlid, dosn't hide at all (no shyness whatsoever) and very active.
I have a feeling i'm not going to be able to keep her due to the size factor (i hear some of them can get pretty big).
What are they worth?
I first put her in a 55G witha small JD and she got picked on by it. The ppl at the store said it was very agressive. Who knows.
Any info on this type of fish would be appreciated. (and please, no cooking info,lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store