Raising betta fry?.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I realize the chances of getting fry is small and mostly bettas refuse to breed, I'm trying to make some plans on raising betta fry in case I get some. I have a bit of a dilemma. Or maybe some of them?.

I have a lot a of bettas in the past kill each other because one of them wanted to breed and the other didn't.So the one that wasn't in the mood was promptly fatally injured.
I went by the book and it wasn't working out as you can see.
As a result, I would prefer to go with a 10+ tank to spawn them. Not interested in replacing a series of bettas because they got breeding killed. I would like to avoid new tank syndrome for the planned fry as well.

When they are newly hatched, this situation wouldn't be quite so desirable for them because the eggs and newly hatched fry will fall into the thick plants roots on the bottom.

However putting them into an empty tank would mean the fry wouldn't have the benifit of live plants keeping the water clean ( yes I do water changes too) or be able to nibble on stuff among the roots.
I would have to stick in a load of plastic plants to keep my potentially refusing to breed betta safe.
New tank syndrome might occur on even a low level and be enough to kill the fry off.

Ideas?...

Next trying to get a realistic estimate on how many betta fry to expect and how much tank space I'll need to rear them to 1-2 of age. I expect since I am a newbie at raising betta fry..The answer will be not many because they are difficult to raise.

melissa3

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Western MA
I'm going through the same thing! See if you can get some tips from my thread - Holy Crap, baby Bettas.

Also, here's some of my suggestions:

* Get 3-4 females and let the bettas pick who they want to spawn with. I let my 3 females live with my male betta and they formed a pair by themselves. I believe my male chose only one female, a little purple one and he only spawns with her. (Probably because the other 2 are cows and are bigger than him! Haha!)

* Make sure you have another 10 gal set up for when you remove the females. You have to remove them all, but leave the male behind to tend the nest and babies.

* In the breeding tank, you can have live floating plants like hornwort or wisteria but keep the bottom bare. It makes it easier for the male to pick up any eggs/babies that fall down.

* For a filter I have a regular HOB (hang-on-back) filter with a foam cube over the intake.

* Keep the heater at 75-80

* To feed the babies, get baby brine shrimp, or hatch your own from eggs. That takes about 24-48 hours so make sure you get food before the babies are born. I don't believe they eat until a few days after they are free swimming, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I'm sure I missed some things, but I'll keep adding as I remember them. Good Luck =)

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
The male does need more than 2 females, seeing he will bully the ones he dislikes, and even during breeding will bully the female. Normally the male betta will be isolated and be able to build the bubble nest, than the female will be introduced.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I realize the chances of getting fry is small and mostly bettas refuse to breed, I'm trying to make some plans on raising betta fry in case I get some. I have a bit of a dilemma. Or maybe some of them?.
It's not that bettas refuse to breed it's that the people trying to breed them don't know what they are doing. Given the correct environment it is very rare for bettas to just choose not to breed.

Anabantoid/Labyrinth fishes such as bettas and gouramis have tiny fry which require very tiny food. Green water with protozoans is the best first food. The fry grow fast and are quickly able to handle microworms and daphnia. There's mixed feelings on feeding brine shrimp nauplii, but I haven't had any bad results with it even though I agree that it's not the most nutritious food to feed.

If you don't want to go the live food route, you're in for a lot of work. Liquid fry formulas store bought are mostly garbage in my opinion, but that's easily remedied by making your own. The best ones are the consistency of peanut butter that you can smooth on to the glass in a particular place. The work comes in that you have to do lots of water changes to prevent ammonia stunting and/or death.

Hope this helps.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I haven't had much luck with brine shrimp in the past. Though definately will try to hatch a batch the day I get eggs.
I plan to try to have live foods and get prepared foods as back up. In the past I've raised fry( though not betta fry) with a live food/ prepared fry food combo.

I'm planning to get at least one more female ( She'll be a pink/purple halfmoon), though since I recently learned two females is a pecking order no no...Now trying to get a third female. If not, I guess I'll have to stick a divider in or isolate one female in a breeding trap.
With seperate tanks for the male and the fry, I'd rather not setup two seperate female tanks too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store