Trying to figure this out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LostFisher

AC Members
Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Well, I plan to purchase a 7 gallon minibow. I am wondering what plants would be easiest to maintain and grow in this setup. Besides filter and heating do I need a Co2 system setup like the hagen one? Should I purchase a pump to make a current? My final question is about substrate, looking at petco there are quite a few different kinds. Do you reccomend small substrate or larger more pebble like? Also do you put any gravel in with the substrate or a thin layer on top?

Thanks everyone!

LF

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
For rooted plants, you'll need a deep substrate--2 inches at least, IME. I like a mix of laterite/flourite and sand. Provides a variety of sizes, and helps the plants.

I think most mini-bows come with a filter in the hood? All of mine have, so I am not sure. If yours does not, there are several options. I prefer the HOB filters, like the AC mini, for small tanks--internal filters just take up too much space. Just about any kind of power filter will provide plenty of water movement--adding an additional pump could be way too much current.

Until you've gotten the hang of maintaining the tank, I would hold off on adding CO2. It's usually pretty easy, but in such a small system, a sudden pH drop could be lethal to your fish. Once you've got the system in balance, and know what your hardness/pH/CO2 is without supplementation, you can look into adding it. For all 3 of my small tanks, I've gotten very good growth without any supplemental CO2.

LostFisher

AC Members
Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Thank you

Thanks for the quick response, we have a petco close to me, so I am thinking I will buy most of my hardware there. What color substrate do you reccomend. I thought a all white would look nice, but I just read that light colors can make fish skittish and will not bring out there colors. So then I thought maybe I should go with a dark color like all black. I want the aquarium to look very natural and eye appealing. Its going to be in my bedroom.

Thanks again

LF

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have found that Water Sprite is a very easy plant to take care of. Like a lot of stem plants it doesn't really root, so substrate isn't very important. But light is. I assume that the mini bow has flourescent lights. If not then it will not be easy to grow plants in. Another easy plant is Java Fern which does root, butalso doesn't seem to need much of a substrate.

I like Water Sprite cause it is easy to find, grows well, and you just cut the top off when the bottom is looking ragged and the plant continues to grow. You can even cut off mature leaves and they will sprout a new plant.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Substrate

I would suggest 100% Flourite, then you won't need any additives for live plants. There's a 'red' Flourite and the 'original' or regular. The 'red' is too red for me. Regular Flourite looks natural.

Larger pebbles can make a tank look 'smaller.' A sand, or small gravel (like Flourite) will give the appearance of a larger aquarium and more natural looking. IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store