55 gallon stocking ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cypress

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
My new 55 is up and running!

My current plan is:
3 Angels
4 Albino Cories
10 Dainty Cories (C. Habrosus)- The ones that only get 1" max.
3 Otos

Does anyone have any suggestions for tankmates? I would really appreciate some ideas! I like the usual, active and colorful. I have another tank with playties, guppies, and tetras, so I would like something different!

Thanks!!! :grinno:

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
otos arent very good tankmates for angels. when the angels get big enough, they may try to eat them. if the corydoras only get to 1", it is a posibility with them also. you may want to consider keeping only one species of corydoras, and having a nice big school of them.

having three angels is not enough to form a pecking order. to do that, you'll need to get three more, but that also runs a higher risk of forming a breeding pair. for a 55 gallon, you may want to stick with only one angel and then get a pair of rams and a large school of one species of tetra or two smaller schools of two species.

Kasey

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
I already have the three Angels and 4 Albino Cories. I asked the other day about the angels with cories and got mixed answers. Some said it would be okay. So, I went ahead and ordered the 10 dainty Cories and the Otos. The angels have messed with them yet, but I am watching to see if it becomes a problem. The angels can always be moved to a different tank.

I really like Rams, but my pH is usually around 7.6. Will this be a problem for rams?

Will Rams pick on Cories?

What other larger fish can I put with the Albinos, Dainties, and Otos?

Thank you!

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
I really like Rams, but my pH is usually around 7.6. Will this be a problem for rams?

Will Rams pick on Cories?

Thank you!
The Rams will do fine in the 7.6 pH ....that is what mine are in.

Rams wont bother the cories either...mine dont even pay any attention to my cories at all.

Cypress

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Ok, so.... since I already have:

3 angels
10 dainty cories
4 albino cories
3 otos

My option are

1. Get 3 more angels for the tank so they can form a pecking order.
~Will they bother my cories?
~Will that be overstocked??

2. Move 2 of the angels out and get some GBRs.
~ Will one angel be happy?
~How many GBR's should I get?

3. Move 2 or all of the angels out and add something else?

Thank you again for all your advice!! :)

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i would go with option #2. one angel will be just fine. and GBRs do best in pairs. (a male and a female) so i would get 1 or 2 pairs. the pairs will fight each other during breeding, so if you're not prepared to deal with the injuries that may arise, i'd just get one pair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store