What quality of light shows off fish colors AND grows plants well?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shoreliner

AC Members
Mar 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
www.vdh.virginia.gov
I currently have a 29g tank with a mixed community of fish, but the fishes' colors don't show up well under my lights. The bulb is a full-spectrum fluorescent. I am also growing low-light plants and will be adding a new light, but I want to buy the right type of bulbs to really show my fish and plants to best advantage.

What quality of light works best to show off the fish but still grows plants well? In particular, I have neon tetras, a vibrant blue betta, and red velvet swordtails. They are all healthy.

Thanks!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
6500K is about where the spectrum gets more white and pleasant for us to view the inhabitants. I plan to get 9325K bulbs from lightbulbsdirect.com when my budget allows me to upgrade.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Depends.

Lots of people like 6500k, white light that's still warm with a tint of yellow.

6700k in my experience tends to bring out the greens more.

10000k is very white with no hint of yellow, makes the blues stand out more but washes out red.

Then you have the specialty bulbs like Hagen PowerGlo or the GE 9325k lights, they bring out the reds.

If your hood supports dual bulbs, mixing different bulbs can make a big difference.

Coral Keeper

AC Members
Aug 24, 2007
West Sacramento, CA
I got a T8 bulb on my 10 gallon tank. A T8 bulb is the exact same thing as a regular fluorescent bulb.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
T8, T12, etc. are the size of the bulb. Longer shop lights usually use T10 or T12 while the shorter bulbs under 2ft can be found in T5 and T8s.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I've been using a 9325 in my 29G heavily planted (good plant growth) and wanted to go a little bit brighter if I could so a 6500 full spectrum was suggested and I hated it, everything looked green! Sticking with a 9325! Have one on my discus show tank and colors look good and plants grow.
I'll understand this light thing someday:confused: .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store