Can you make a shelf in your tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daniel_MoY

Friendly Newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Fargo, ND
myweb.cableone.net
I was wondering if you could make a shelf in a tank.

I have my 60g tank with a footprint of 4' by 1'

I would like to put a shelf in say 1' to 1.5' from the bottem.

I could use PVC pipe to hold the shelf up, but not sure what to make the shelf out of. I would like the shelf to have a slight lip to it, and I would make the pvc pipes little lower in back so it would tilt slightly. and then put substrate and some live plants on the shelf.

Is there some other substance I could use other then Glass for the shelf though??

Was thinking I could put some LED lights under the shelf to light parts of the alcove as needed (not sure how dark it would be under a 6" shelf). would support the shelf on each end and middle with pvc pipe, with holes cut in for caves, or laying on the side as tonnels.

Ajordan

Se?or Member - Get it?
Nov 21, 2006
Massachusetts
I think it would work. Since there wouldn't be much load or pressure I would think think plexi would work from your local home depot or lowes.

Of course, we won't be able to tell if its working or not without pictures! :grinyes:

Daniel_MoY

Friendly Newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Fargo, ND
myweb.cableone.net
yes yes.. I have to figure out what to make it out of first, something that wont hurt the fish or the plants,

then can make it and post pic's, and even a thread of what I did.

Will epoxi work which I have, it says it is fine under water after it cures, or do I need to get the pure Silicone?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
One thing that is easy to build with is eggcrate light diffuser. Its easy to cut up and zip-tie together in different forms, and you can tie plants to it etc to help cover it up.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
You could try using slate tiles for a natural look you don't have to cover or hide.

hatcheridiot

Call me crazy...Crazy
Apr 19, 2007
Washington State
For adhering plexiglass (acrylic) to itself...like if you wanted to make the lip on your shelf, use a glue specific to plexiglass like "weld-on" plexiglass glue. Then you may be able to use silicone to adhere the shelf to the PVC.

If it were me....I'd make the entire thing out of plexiglass and make it hang on the back instead of using supports underneath it.

Good luck.....we want pics!

Daniel_MoY

Friendly Newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Fargo, ND
myweb.cableone.net
ummm how would you make it hang on the back? cant quite wrap how you would do that around my brain.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
I figure they mean to put like suction cups or something on the back glass and make the shelf hang off of them. That way there isn't any support on the bottom and it looks like it is free floating.

Daniel_MoY

Friendly Newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Fargo, ND
myweb.cableone.net
bah, I plan to add weight to this thing.... a lair of substrate and some plants atleast.

run fishing line from the four corners of the ledge to some hooks I hang on the back of the tank? the two in back bing shorter then the frount....

I still like the PVC pipe idea, use them to make little caves say use 4" pvc pipe with an arch cut in the side so the fish can swim in and out.

there's a local hardware store here that will cut glass for what I need for the shelf, but not sure what to edge it with to keep it from being sharp for my hands and my fish.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd use square stones for support, myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store