Nu-Clear and Ocean Clear Canisters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
Hi,

I'm looking for folks who have experience with the Nu-Clear and/or Ocean Clear canister filters. I'd like some opinions on how well they work as well as ideas of good pumps to put with them on a large (310 gallon) tank. Also, I'm confused as to whether you put the pump before (push the water through) the canisters or after (pull the water through) the canisters.

I'm thinking of running three of the canisters in a row. First mechanical, then biological and finally chemical (carbon). After the canisters I'd be running through a UV unit and then a C02 reactor.

Thanks for any info, tips and tricks!!!

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
Thanks Nolapete... I'd be looking at a "low head" pump, right? Also, how do you go about determining how many gph these pumps are pushing through? All I see is HP rating. I've got a Hayward pump I was using to filter my 24' round pool until I tore the pool down this summer. It's buried in the garage at the moment so I don't know what model it is... however I'm beginning to wonder if IT will work! Can you have to much power?

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
No, you don't want a "low head" pump. Think of head as the distance the water has to travel after the pump. That's with gravity as it's only resistance. Add the filters to that and the head resistance is higher so you need more pump capacity to overcome the additional resistance to maintain the flow rate you want.

Ocean Clear most likely has recommendations for the pump flow rate. Use that as a guide.

I generally take my tank capacity and multiply it times 10 and find a pump that has that capacity at 10 foot of head pressure.

In your case:

310 x 10 = 3100 gph

Look in the charts for the pump flow rates and find one that has 3100 gph at 10 foot head. With 3 Ocean Clears, UV, and CO2 reactor, I'd bump it up to at least 4000 gph.

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
Thanks again! Ocean Clear says to use a pump up to 1600 gph. Is using one more powerful than that going to hurt the system or the pump due to the 3/4" pipe size limiting flow? That should be my last question! :)

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
That's a question for Ocean Clear, but I don't think it would hurt it. It may be that the seals are rated for that amount though, so I'd check to be sure.

I would get the higher rated pump and add a T with a ball valve to rediret some of the flow into a spray bar or multiple outlets into the tank for current. This would allow you to adjust the flow to the filters as needed.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If you're into DIY, you can create similar filters using the water purifier bodies inline. This is more like the Lifeguard series of filters, but you can pump a lot of water through them. Aquatic Ecosystems has micron level filters, bead clarifiers, etc. A spa filter and/or swimming pool sand filter would do the job as well. You'd probably get more bang for your buck looking outside the aquarium market and into other markets like aquaculture and swimming pool/spa filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store