How to cool a hot tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
My heater is set to 78 (and of course, not turning on) since the tank is running about 85!! :eek:

I'm guessing the added pump (which sits inside the sump versus the Iwaki which is outside) of the skimmer along with some more lights (270 W now versus 180 W before; but the temp is higher all day even before the lights turn on) along with the current heat wave (room temp is about 75) are all factors. Before the switchover to s/w (before the skimmer, extra lights, and also, this current heat wave), the heater would sometimes turn on to keep the tank at 80.

So, some ideas I've read and will try:
-fan pointed at water inside sump (too inconvenient to have a fan shooting air at the water in the tank due to the set-up)
-frozen closed water bottles (I'll try them in sump first)

Note: The BACK of the tank gets "somewhat" direct sunlight in the morning hours from a window directly behind the tank. That's about it.

Any other possible ideas?
Thanks.
Richard.

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
Richard,

Is this the 400gal tank? I wonder because your 270w of lighting plus a couple of pumps should not heat your tank up that much in a room that is kept at 75F. Try closing the shade on the window that gives the tank sunlight in the morning(this will also help w/unwanted algae growth), and add a fan to your sump(as you suggested). Does your tank have a canopy? If so, you can also add computer fans to move out the hot air created by your lights.
Try all of these methods along with getting another thermometer to make sure the current one is working, and make sure your heater is working properly, before exploring more expensive alternatives.

Brian

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Thanks Brian! :)

Yes, it's the 400 gallon.
It's an acrylic tank (Tenecor) which has the standard 3 square large openings (which I have acrlyic sheets covering them) and all of my lights sit on top. Then, there is the large (3 section) white acrylic canopy that covers the top (for looks only). And, the little slots along the back which I also have acylic sheets covering with velcro to hold them secure (I used to have a fire eel and he was an escape artist so I had to seal every opening; not airtight, just eel proof :p ).

Unfortunately, no shades on the windows on the backside of the house. I just had new windows installed and decided not to put shades or blinds on the backside. Woods and fence are my privacy. But, if this matters; the back of the tank is ocean blue acrylic. Sunlight does not come thru very well; although you can see a shadow if someone walks behind the tank in the morning.

Each section of the canopy has a large circular hole cut in the top to allow heat to escape. I guess I could "also" add fans there to "pull" hot air out. But, the temp stays warm without the lights, I don't know why.

Heater is a 1000 W ProHeat Digital Titanium. Glass tube heater and sticker (I know, not the most reliable) all confirm the same temps. Glass tube and heater probe are in the sump, sticker is on the canister. But, just to sure, I'll check with another therm. as well.

I'll try the fan idea tonight and see if that helps and keep the frozen waters bottles as emergency plans too.

Thanks again.

Richard.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
ACE (the bandage people) make a gel insert for their bandages that can be frozen solid and placed over wounds to keep swelling down. The gel holds its temperature much longer than ice does. This might be an excellent alternative to frozen water bottles. It comes in a plastic pouch that is pretty durable, so you shouldn't have to worry about leaks or anything like that. As I recall the gelpacks cost about $15 and are available at any pharmacy.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! :)

Unfortunately, nothing really helped very much.

So, I have a big wall-unit A.C. behind the tank and I pointed one of the vents right at the tank (inbetween the canopy and the tank). It has brought the temp down to 78-81.
BUT, the damn den is now freezing. :rolleyes:

Damn fish. :p

I also realized that my prior f/w set-up (with the stingrays):
the tank was always cooler because I had a constant cold-water (tapwater) line being dripped into the sump (50 gpd) as part of the constant water changer system. So, the additional lights and the protein skimmer is probably not the reason why the tank is warmer. It was probably always running warmer and I just didn't realize it.

JSG

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
If you have a few dollars, and the room, head to walmart and get a little dorm fridge. Basically, I am sure you can figure it out, run a input line into the fridge, that run thru a coil set up in a 3 to 5 gallon bucket of water, then back to the tank. Works very well as a chiller, and can be done uner$100 bucks, if you have to buy the fridge.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Thanks JSG,

I've read about this idea (King Vinnie's board) as well as thought of similar ideas.

The problem comes down to space. 2/3's of the cabinet is full of the filtration. The right 1/3 could be used, but the opening is the problem.

Having the fridge outside of the cabinet is not good since the tank and cabinet take up an entire wall in my den and I don't want a small frig. sitting on the floor next to it. ;)

Here's a shot of the tank in my den (when it was first set-up with the f/w rays and dragons in it) to get an idea of the space I have left:

Tank

JSG

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Whats on the other side of that wall? Sometimes you have to get creative :D

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Unfortunately, the backyard. :confused:

But, keep the ideas coming, bud..

I shut off the a.c. last night and the tank was 79. This morning it was 86! :mad:

Turned the a.c. back on but, the damn den is an iceberg.

I looked up chillers. But, damn: a unit for a 400 gallon is in the $1,000 price range. :eek: Way too much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store