Think that I may have a case of ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ncompany

AC Members
May 2, 2007
My blue tail damsel was rubbing one of my LR the other day thought that it was weird, now have read that is one of the signs. Then yesterday I noticied that both of my angels have small white specks on them which I have read this is a tell tale sign. As of right now no QT tank. Is there any way to treat in display? Anything will help. I have some hermit crabs, snails, and a star. Would water perameters help? I could try to get some pics, could be a little tuff but I can try.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sorry, but in my belief there are only 2 proven ways to cure ich and those include hyposalinity and copper (not safe for some). Neither are safe for inverts however and in your case if you do have ich I suggest setting up a QT tank pronto and treating with one of the beforementioned ways including proper monitering of either. This is in addition to allowing the display tank to go fallow (fishless) for 6+ weeks.

ncompany

AC Members
May 2, 2007
Do you have any good places to check out for a good QT setup? How big of one will I need for 4 fish? Do I leave everything else in the tank?

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
For qt/hospital I use a bare tank, a HOB filter for water movement and a sponge I have stored in my sump to collect bacteria for this use, a heater, and some pvc pipes for the fish to hide in.

You don't want to use sand or rocks. If you don't have media don't let that stop you, you can still set up a hospital and do frequent water changes.

If you use copper you'll need a well known brand such as Coppersafe and the appropriate copper test kit (there are different types of copper treatment so be sure you are testing for the right kind, chelated, etc). Follow the directions exactly.

If you use hyposalinity you'll want a refractometer versus a hydrometer to be certain you are getting accurate salinity readings at such a low level (around 1.009 although I've heard of some only going down to 1.014)

You won't need to remove anything else from the display tank, but you will be trying to remove the parasite and will do that by allowing your display to go falllow for 6+ weeks.

How big of a tank you'll need is dependent on the size and number of fish.

ncompany

AC Members
May 2, 2007
My singapore is full grown, as well as my blue tail, and four stripe damsels, My coral beauty is pretty small, what size tank would you recommend? What type of HOB filter will I need. The only one I have is on my display tank.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You don't need the HOB, you can use air pumps at the very least. With a full grown singapore angel I'd probably not go less than a 30 gallon. That is going to be tight quarters but you could get away with it for a QT. You can also just use a rubbermaid container for the QT but I personally wanted a tank so I could enjoy the fish still while they were in fish prison. In the future, if you QT before placing new livestock in your tank you won't have to QT all the fish again

ncompany

AC Members
May 2, 2007
It seems like now the only affected is the singapore. Should I still remove all of them?

ncompany

AC Members
May 2, 2007
the little white spots are gone, remission? It looks like small parts of the scales of the singapore are gone. Does this sounds like ich? All of the other fish look fine. Could this be something else?

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ich doesn't have a remission, just a life cycle, this graphic does a fairly good job of showing it although you can find lots of info about it online. As for whether you are dealing with ich..could be. If looking at photos online and reading about it isn't enough to have you fairly sure then take a photo for us to see if we can give you our best guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store