is there such a thing as orange shrimps?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

simplyorange

shrimplet
Sep 30, 2007
Sacramento, Cali
i was browsing the lfs last week because im an addict to the hobby. and i saw that they had cherry shrimps and orange shrimps (i think they called it orange bumblebee shrimps. they were orange compared to the cherries in the tank beside them. nothing in the net comes up with any orange shrimps, although i came upon a post asking the same question about its legitimacy.
so has anyone heard of them? "orange shrimp" search came up empty.

im planning a shrimp tank. my first shrimp only tank.

thanks in advance.

les.

simplyorange

shrimplet
Sep 30, 2007
Sacramento, Cali
thanks. yeah i've seen that site, but nope it's not on there. i havent found any pictures of an orange shrimp or any info about them. i'll stop by the store this week and ask if they know the scientific name and or have them ask their supplier. it would be fishy (sorry the term applies) if no one has heard of them. and it wont be surprising to have a fish store lie about what they sell.

its just like a cherry but orange. there's no distinct bands or other traits other than the color.
i'll setup a tank first and if the lfs still has them i'll get a few and see.
i do like the color orange, lol.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Yep, Caridina sp. Orange. A varient.

cbd5_1.jpg

simplyorange

shrimplet
Sep 30, 2007
Sacramento, Cali
i saw that site to but nothing similiar. msjinkzd thanks though.
ok thanks for the info it was orange when compared to the cherries they had nearby, but the almighty google had nothing to show about orange shrimps.

the color isnt as yellow as that one hooked newbie. thanks for the pic.
i'll probably get some and see how that goes. my fish fund has some cash in it. sigh.

that would be great to have all those colorful shrimps all together.

thanks again.

simplyorange

shrimplet
Sep 30, 2007
Sacramento, Cali
just joined that site. which is not good, joining to new aquaria forums. lol.
i actually saw that thread they have in there about orange shrimps. the member has the same type pictured in this thread.

i went to the store today to buy some of the so called orange bee shrimps. they lost the orange color and looked like cherries. not too disappointing though. i asked one guy if they were cherries in turn he asked another guy and that one said they are. something about mistakenly named/placed, lol, i love questioning them. they were out of cherries in the cherry tank.
well, i said ok so i can get them at the cherry price, cheaper by a dollar. i got 8 of them which was all of them.
it would be great if they showed orange but all in all i at least have a second gene pool to mix with Mg's cherries.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store