Discus White Poop ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
About a week ago or so I started a thread on where to start.
Well the Discus in question to my knowledge has still not eaten. It looks like he wants to,is very interested in food,but just does not eat.
Just now I saw him poop and it was white & stringy.I scooped it from the tank in case it's something contagious,but it did have a small amount attached.
What is white string poop,and what if anything can be done?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I agree with RedScare and Lupin.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I would suspect bacterial internal infection or internal parasites.
if the fish has been like this for more than a few days I would tend to rule out bacteria..these tend to spread more quickly.
if it is indeed interanl parasites you hace a multitude of possible candidates , round worm, tapeworm etc. more recently there has been outbreaks of camallanus and capillaria..these tend to be prevalent in the 'community' filtration systems.

treatment is usually anti parasite meds(metronidazole, praziquantel, levamisole Hcl, fenbenzadole, flubenzadole)
you can try the standard course of treatment(metronidazole,prazi) these however, are ineffective with camallanus and capillaria.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I would suspect bacterial internal infection or internal parasites.
if the fish has been like this for more than a few days I would tend to rule out bacteria..these tend to spread more quickly.
if it is indeed interanl parasites you hace a multitude of possible candidates , round worm, tapeworm etc. more recently there has been outbreaks of camallanus and capillaria..these tend to be prevalent in the 'community' filtration systems.

treatment is usually anti parasite meds(metronidazole, praziquantel, levamisole Hcl, fenbenzadole, flubenzadole)
you can try the standard course of treatment(metronidazole,prazi) these however, are ineffective with camallanus and capillaria.

I dosed the water with Prazi-Pro about a week or so ago. I have not dosed it since. It took this long for whatever came out to finally come out. I have done 2-3 water changes since the dosage,and did not remedicate. Do you think I should dose the tank again? I just did about a 80% water change aout an hour ago. Also there are 7 other Discus in this tank (125gal) should I be worried? I had to use my 20 gal extra tank for a Saltwater fish emergency so I don't currently have a quarantine/hospital tank.I do however have a cycled 55 gal with 4 Black Skirts,1 Serpe,3 Cory Cats & 1 Danio. I could up the temperature and if need be give the current fish to the local LFS(thoughts anyone?)
The only metro I have found locally is Metro + for HIH and lateral line treatment

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you suspect parasites I would dose the main tank.
if one is infected chances are more may already be infected.

I dose for worms in all my qt fish.I learned from a breeder to do this .

he also imported fish and all these were treated with 'cocktail' meds for parasites.
I never treat for ich unless I see ich.
the issue with parasites is..they are common..many fish carry them and it never is an issue. it when the parasite gets the upper hand.

Temo

Joshie BaoHuu Tran
Jun 27, 2007
Grand Prairie ,Tx
Real Name
Joshie BaoHuu Tran
idk if this is right or not, but your discus is infected with a bacteria which make the fish wont eat and might die soon

samsmom

samsmom
Apr 10, 2007
Didsbury, Alberta-north of Calgary
I followed this thread as my new blood parrot had the same white string, clear mucus poop, I purchased the medication metro....? and dosed the tanks food, 2 doses later and he(she) is out and about, eating and acting like a normal fish with regular pops, prior to medicating he was very shy, not eating and just listless. THANK YOU so very much for posing this question, I did not think there was a problem until I read your post. Thankx for helping this newbie save her favorite fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store