Selling young bettas to a petshop.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Ok...for my sake this is jumping ahead of myself...Decided to ask anyways.
As soon know I'm planning to raise some bettas ( details still being worked out and new females not here yet).

I am thinking about selling bettas to the petshops for store credit.
I am unsure if I want to sell to these petshops in the first place because both shops do things I don't like. Should I approach the petshops on the basis of I'll only sell to them if these conditions are corrected?...
I know that selling directly is a lot harder because people would much rather go to the LFS. I remember seeing fish for sale that I was giving away for FREE...Nobody wanted mine,they wanted to buy from the store.

Shop #1
I gave them a bunch of fish I fostered once and they killed them all from shock by just pouring them into new water. I don't know how they keep any other fish alive there because they don't believe in acclimation. I can only assume their supplier must be closer to their water conditions.
When dealing with male bettas, I assume they will setup new bowls for them and not dump them into existing tanks....So I would consider offering them only male bettas.

Male bettas are kept in tiny bowls and look healthy and well cared for.
Female bettas are in a selected tank and often seem to have pecking order related illness/wounds.

Shop #2
Bettas are kept in male/female pairs in various tanks ( they even had package deals for male/female betta pairs). Some of which are highly incompatible with the bettas and result in fin loss.
One tank even contained crayfish and bettas. The bettas look healthy besides this issue and the ones that happen to land in more peaceful tanks look good.

Of course after I put the effort into raising fry, I don't want to put them into a situation where they are in immediate threat of being killed. I realize part of selling bettas to other people involves that they may not care for them properly.

Assuming these issues were taken care of...
Will they take young half grown bettas? or will they only accept six months old bettas?. I simply cannot house them that long and plan to sell them when they reach one inch.

When should I start offering bettas?...when I first spawn?...when I see fry?...when the fry are about two weeks old?. I'd hate to offer them bettas only to have my fry die off and find out I have nothing to offer. I realize the fry are difficult to raise and I have no idea what to expect in terms of fry mortality yet plus I have to factor in being inexperienced in raising them.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
there's no way of knowing what they'll take.. but planning ahead is always a good idea, so call and ask soon!

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
i would assume you wouldn't have good luck telling the lfs to change their conditions before you would sell them your bettas, the response would probably be "we're not interested". that being said, call and find out. if both stores have a rep for killing fish or putting them into an inhumane situation i honestly wouldn't want to give them to the store, it would be better for the fish to just be culled or not bred to begin with.

Patti

AC Members
Sep 13, 2007
Find a reputable independant pet shop. That Is what I did. They treat all fish in that shop like family. No Bettas in bowls. One Betta per tank of friendly fish.and females are kept the same way as the males. He was glad I stopped in as his supplier was no longer breeding. He is willing to pay cash and store credit. He asked to see my bettas. So I showed him a picture of both and he seemed impressed. Said my bettas are alittle larger than most.Good Luck.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I wouldn't do the first store because of them killing all of your fish and keeping the bettas in bowls, but DIFFINATELY not the second, selling them in pairs.

Really, if it was me, I'd advertise locally (depends if you live in a small town or city) if there wern't any good LFS around.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Not sure I'd want to care for more then one litter of bettas even if I had the tankspace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store