To build or not to build, this is the question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Now that my family is moving into a larger place, my wife has giving her blessings on a large tank! :dance2: I'm thinking in the 125 range and here is my question: Would it be cost effective to build one rather than buy? I was thinking a plywood sealed bottom fw tank. Any ideas/comments go straight to my brain so fire away!

aoscar

big cichlids rule
Feb 16, 2007
grand rapids, michigan
though I have never built a plywood tank ( several diy stands, IMO the cost may save you about 15-25% but you must also factor in your time and energy, if those are not an issue, then build away.
1 benefit to this method is the custom fit or size you want.

StereoKills

Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Time and energy shouldn't be too much of a problem as I need something constructive to occupy my free time (otherwise I end up wasting it in front of the tv). Would anyone be able to point out either some good threads or other links for instructions/tips?

StereoKills

Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
I was hoping to find something, I may just have to look longer. I have yet to find something over a 30gal used for sale around here. Yes, i've used craigslist etc.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
Agreed @ 125 I would buy - 300 + you might have more fun/savings building.

StereoKills

Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Well, I won't have that much room. We are in a 2 bedroom apt. No 300 gal tanks for me in the near future. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store