Help with cycling info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
I am cycling a 20 gal. I've put in a deep sand base and about 17 lbs. of uncured live rock. I did not clean anything off of the rock. I plan on adding a skimmer and powerhead but am just running an aquaclear 20 gal max power filter. My questions: Should I take the rock back out and clean off or let it go and if I do let it go will I have to clean it at some point later before stocking? Does lighting and temp have any importance while cycling? Should I add the powerhead now while cycling to get better circ? Will there be an issue when I swap the filter for the skimmer when the cycling is done? Should I be doing water changes while cycling and how often? And how long should I expect for the cycling to complete? Thanks for any info!

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I am cycling a 20 gal. I've put in a deep sand base and about 17 lbs. of uncured live rock. I did not clean anything off of the rock. I plan on adding a skimmer and powerhead but am just running an aquaclear 20 gal max power filter. My questions: Should I take the rock back out and clean off or let it go and if I do let it go will I have to clean it at some point later before stocking? Does lighting and temp have any importance while cycling? Should I add the powerhead now while cycling to get better circ? Will there be an issue when I swap the filter for the skimmer when the cycling is done? Should I be doing water changes while cycling and how often? And how long should I expect for the cycling to complete? Thanks for any info!
Personaly, i would take it out and give it a quick scrub and wash off with saltwater, remove some of the dirt and gunk from it...

If the option is there, i would add another 10lbs of live rock now, and get rid of the filter..However, as it currently stands with the ammount of live rock, just keep the filter running.

Lighting will not make any difference in the cycling of the tank, most leave the lighting off while the cycle is running. Temp, yes, you need to get this up to around 75 - 78f and keep it there..

Yes, i would get a powerhead, or some powerheads in there as you will basically get very very little flow from that filter. how much flow you will need will depend on what you want the tank to become.

One thing to remember is that the skimmer does not replace the filter. When you fit the skimmer, dont take the filter off..

There is no need to change any water while running the cycle, just let nature take its course and then when it has finished, do a large (50%) water change to replenish trace elements. You can expect the cycle to last anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6 or more...there is no set pattern to the cycle length...you just have to be patient.

Hope this helps a little

Niko

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
Thanks so much. I thought that the skimmer my LFS was showing me was a skimmer/filter combo if there is such a thing but I will definitely double check that. I was going to switch the filter to a 10 gal for a hospital but could easily buy another of course. I am planning on this being a fish only tank as my larger one is becoming a reef. Setting up this tank was prompted by the fact that when I bought a haitian pink tip anemone my red legged crab thought it was dinner and my wife and I kind of like the little guy and he is currently living in the sump. My heater has actually been keeping a steady 80 so I will back it down a bit and tonight after work I will take your advice about cleaning the rock. Thanks again.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If this is becoming a fish only tank, then i would not bother buying a skimmer or buying any more live rock, and rather spend the money on buying a really good quality filter for the tank, rated around 3 times the tank volume..

Niko

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
Ok...That is a can do. I appreciate the advice because I am a complete newb but am becoming totally addicted to this hobby and trying to learn what I can. I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to be extremely knowledgable. BTW, what is a troll? :huh:

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
BTW, what is a troll? :huh:
Quote taken from http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store