My new betta has arrived....with fin rot!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
I just got the betta I won on aquabid last week. He looks pretty good except that the upper part of his tail fin in a little shreddy looking and the edges of his other fins are curled over a bit. It looks like possible fin rot. Could this be due to stress of travel? He was shipped out Monday but didn't arrive until today (Thursday). Should I try Melafix first (I hate to because I'm allegic to tee tree oil...)or should I give him a dose of erythromycin or should I just wait and see if he heals up on his own? He's in a 10g fully cycled planted tank with a few snails.
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
There is this thing where highly stressed bettas chew their own finnage.
Might be that.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Toxic levels of ammonia in the bag shipping water can be reached in a rather short period of time. Could just be ammonia burn from being in the bag such a long time? In which case all the fresh clean water in his new home with you should put a stop to it getting any worse. If it was me, I'd want the added assurance of some melafix.

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
I just spoke to the breeder and he suggested Melafix also. He also apologized and asked for a picture. It probably was from being in that little bag for four days, poor guy. I'm going to start him on Melafix today. I'll just have to make sure I wear gloves while it's in there.
I'll also up the water changes. I'll post pics of him when he's better!

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
if you do melafix, you shouldn't change the water for a week, just let the melafix run in the water, after a week then change it.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
You can change the water, just replace whatever meds get changed out.

Lansirill

Mathemagician
Jun 14, 2007
Washington, DC
I was under the impression melafix loses efficacy with time, otherwise why would you redose every day? I know the smell dies down after a day.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Maracyn and Maracyn2 are also good for fin rot I used the combo on my betta who developed popeye and the combo has done wonders. I was doing water changes every 2 weeks but am bumping it up to once a week to keep the water really clean. Good luck with your betta.

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
Thanks for all your suggestions! I've been using Melafix and keeping the water super clean. He's started looking better almost immediately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store