Figure 8 puffer seems to went blind

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Last night I went to feed my F8 and when i turned the light on she started running into things ie.(wall, ground). She couldnt see. She didnt flinch when I moved my hand in front of her and thats not like her. She is a very nervous type. When we turned the lights off, she could see and when we turned them back on she started running into things again. This morning when I went and checked on her, she was back to normal. With the lights on and off. She could see again. Her eyes look normal and they arent cloudy. She didnt seem to be moving them around like she usually does, but today they are normal.

She is currently being treated for an internal paracite. The only thing that has happened to her recently is we moved and she had to travel a little bit, but that was last week and she was doing fine after we put her back in her tank.

What could have caused her to go blind for a little bit?

Thanks

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I dont think she was sleeping cause she was swimming around and running into things. Usually when she sleeps she on the bottom, laid on her side a little and her tail curved.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
You probably woke her suddenly. I can't see 1st thing in the morning if bright lights are oneither. Wouldn't hurt to check parameters though.

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Im hoping thats all it is. We just did a 50 % water change today, so we are goin to check the params tomorrow. We put back in all her decorations and plants, thinking maybe the lights were just to bright for her.

Thanks

LoKel

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
She was ok all day yesterday with and without the light on. Then last night I watched her for a few mins to make sure she was swimming and i dont wake her and she was swimming like crazy cause she saw me and knew it was food time, but when i turned her tank light on she was running into things again like she couldnt see. I turned the light off and she could see a little better, but only if something was moving. Today she was pretty much back to normal, just not to happy. her tummy was pretty dark still. She is still eating good too.

Can puffers go blind temporarily when their tank lights go on?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Still waiting for those parameters... Bumping into things is a sign of nitrite poisoning.

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Nitrite - 0.1
Ammonia - 0
PH - 7.6
Tanks has been up for 1 1/2 yrs.

Tonight she is still bumping into things but not as bad and her tummy is pretty white. Her sight issue seems to come and go.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Boy, did I guess it or what? Large water changes, vacuming all the substrate, under & around everything. Must have uneaten food somewhere.

Nitrates? SG? How big is the tank?

Sometimes salt can neutralize nitrates.

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
0.1 mg/L nitrite is bad? Thats the lowest number on my scale.

Nitrate - >5 mg/L
SG - 1.003

Tank is 21 gal.

We vacummed the gravel and all her decorations the other day and did a 50%water change as well, all uneaten food is gone.

She is apearing to be better. Her tummy is nice and white, and its not sunken in anymore. Shes not running into the glass anymore with the light on either.

Could the internal paracite or whatever she had, caused her sight to go wanky?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store