Can I put Angelfish in an African Cichlid tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cra_za_j

AC Members
Oct 4, 2007
BC
I have 4 toonie sized angelfish in a 20 gal. wich i am selling and i am buy a 55 gal. I was wanting to do my new tank with african cichlid tank and was wondering if they would be okay in it.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
generally not considered a good idea.

many of the african cichlids are aggressive and an angel would make a good target fish to them.

couple that with many species of african cichlids water requirements(hard) which is not ideal for angels.

many african cichlids get their mineral requirements thru cellular osmosis. angels get them thru diet.

cra_za_j

AC Members
Oct 4, 2007
BC
The angel tank was my first, and for my second i wasn't sure if i should do African or south american cichlids, witch is better for a beginner.

RONALD123

AC Members
Sep 24, 2006
its a bad idea...when i first started i made the mistake of putting angels in with my other cichlids and the poor angels didnt last very long...

live and learn

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
Not a good idea. Two reasons:

African cichlids are aggressive and would likely rip the angels' heads off.

African cichlids like hard water (8.0-9.0) and angelfish like soft water (6.0-7.0)

Sym

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Angels really shouldnt go with other agressive fish at all, they dont defend themselves well. Ive tried all kinds of combinations with angels in the past that didnt work out. Had a red tail shark kill 2 angels, had a dwarf puffer kill another, had a dempsey kill another. Doubt an angel would fare any better with an african.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store