My small, young african has lost eye, should i put it with less aggressive fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
One of my cichlids has just finally lost eye after treating tank for over a week. Could have been injury or a infection i didnt catch intill too late. I had only have this cichlid a month berfore dicovering the pop eye. Can a fish live with an infection for awhile before showing physical problems? During this time i have been treating tank with melafix to help avoid infection with the all the fish while using salt. Should i put this fish in another tank with less agressive fish for awhile? The fish is eating some while swimming in circles alittle. If i put it in another tank, i guess i would put some melafix in it also for maybe a week.
What do u think? The other fish in tank with this one eyed cichlid seem to be in great health. I've been watching them very carefully to see anything wrong with them.

Last edited:

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Yea, unfortunally i dont have a seperate QT. I have 3 tanks in use right now. The 55g has cichlids which also contain Injured fish, 29g which hsa semi-aggressive and some community fish mixed, and a 20g Which contain small, young angelfish. I could take my chances and put this cichlid in the 20g which contains the least amount of fish; which would put less fish at risk. I could treat it melifix and stresscoat before putting the cichlid in.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store