I've got a Royal Pleco on hold...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I thought it would be a good idea to see what you guys say before i bought it :D . I am traditionally not a Pleco person, but this one was so cool i couldnt pass him by. It is currently around 4-5 inches. It will be going into a 55 gallon tank with salvini, firemouths, and 2 lace cats. the tank is loaded with driftwood and caves. Right now i have 2 4 inch common pleco's in there i bought at an inch to get me by until i found replacements.....6 months ago. Water is nuetral, weekly 30-40 percent water changes, 2 penguin 330's as filtration. opinions apriciated.

ryan

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Sounds good. Royals MUST have driftwood, but otherwise they eat greens just like other plecos. I believe however, that eventually, you may need to get a larger aquarium or "lose" two of the plecos. The Royal will not get as large as the commons, but it will still get to be a foot long, although it is a slow grower.

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
O yea, i guess i didnt make it clear that i will be ditching the 2 common pleco's when i move in the royal. I have co-workers who want them. Also, i read that the royal can get up to a foot, but i figure once it starts getting too large i can sell it for a hefty sum.

ryan

polkadot

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
Royals are one of my favourite. They love chewing at cucumbers, algae wafers, and of course, WOOD!!

Ender

AC Members
Apr 21, 2003
Ames, IA
Visit site
My Royal is my fav fish in the aquarium. He is not going to do as good of a job as cleaning as the 2 commons will. At least mine just waits till he gets his zuchinni or algae wafer. But he should do just fine in your 55 gal. They are definetly slow growers though...had mine for just over 2 years now and he is around 8". Let me know when you get some good pics, always like to see em!

Lots of driftwood huh....he will be right at home :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store