Tom Barr...question re: "KH is OK, but PH is waaaayyyy low...help?!?"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

29gallonsteve

Senior Planted Fishtank Lover
May 23, 2002
Wilmington, DE...Work in Philly
Tom,

I would love your feedback on this one...I am puzzled...

Thanks,
Steve

29gallonsteve

May 23, 2002
It leaves me confused, thats what (lol).

I am perplexed...I have 2 bottles of AP pH test solution. They are both consistent. In addition, they are testing my tap water at 7.2 (so I know it is working).

Is it possible to have such a high concentration of CO2, AND a high concentration of O2, in that the fish don't have a problem with respiration?

Thanks,
Steve

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Did you test your tap water fresh from the tap or aged/aerated? If the former, the test is meaningless - you need an off-gassed baseline for tap.

Did you compare the KH of the two, and are you using current tank KH for your calculation of CO2?

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
You said in your original post the the pH was, "6.0 - 6.4" and the kH was 5.5. I split the difference.....6.2 @ 5.5 kH = 104.108ppm.
The fish are fine.
One of three things.....bad test kit, mis-read by tester(I don't think so), something in that tank is causing an inaccurate acidic reading.
Len

29gallonsteve

May 23, 2002
Len,

I will have to re-run the KH test...I also need to run comparison to my tap water.

Will let you know what the deal with that is...

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Thanks,
Steve

29gallonsteve

May 23, 2002
RTR - Using current tank for reading of KH...I need to do a baseline from the tap.

One question...do you aerate the test for KH or just pH?

Thanks,
Steve

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The water coming out of your tap has been under pressure and has probably been quite a bit colder than it is just now. That means that it had a much higher capacity for holding gasses in solution, gasses like CO2 which will drop pH. If you let it sit for a while at room or tank temps (when it has a lower carrying capacity) the water will dump gas into the atmosphere -- it "outgasses".

If you fill up a change bucket with fresh tap and stick your hand and forearm in you'll notice little bubbles forming on your skin, collecting on hairs. Thats outgassing. Aeration will speed the process up, as will giving it a good stir every little bit.

If you test for pH straight out of the tap, you're probably testing water that is unsustainably supersaturated with CO2, and therefore has an unusually low pH. After the water outgasses the pH reading will be truer (and higher).

The carbonate content of the water doesn't outgas, so KH should be the same straight away or the next day.

29gallonsteve

May 23, 2002
Thanks, Carpguy...

That matches everything I thought was true.

BTW - I tested my tap water for KH...it is the same as my tank...

Therefore...I HAVE SOFTER WATER...Guess I need to break out some crushed coral...

Thanks,
Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store