sump divider

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bksmith

AC Members
Mar 31, 2003
Fairfield, New Jersey
Visit site
How do I go about sectioning off a portion of my sump? (I will have a dsb in it and want to create a section for my submersible pump so I don't have to worry about sand getting in it.)

Thanks, I don't have great DYI skills, but with some guidance I figure even I can do this.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Get some glass cut locally, or buy a 1/4" acrylic sheet at a local hardware store and cut it yourself. Then get a little bit of aquarium silicone. Total price maybe $20-$30.

bksmith

AC Members
Mar 31, 2003
Fairfield, New Jersey
Visit site
Okay. I want to put in a baffle, how much seperation should I put between the sheets? I was thinking 1".

Another question, I was originally thinking of just doing one baffle. Now I'm thinking of doing 2 (which to me means 3 reaching to the bottom and 2 reaching to the top). I'm thinking this might be better to elimiate bubbles.

My overall plans for the sump is the main chamber to have a 6" dsb with lots of base rock and then to do the baffles leading to the return pump. Please let me know if anything sounds wrong with this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bksmith

AC Members
Mar 31, 2003
Fairfield, New Jersey
Visit site
Okay, another problem seems to have arisen. I now notice that the corners of the tank are of course sealed (with something) and that my nicely cut pieces of acrylic don't fit nicely and make what seems like good seams?

What to do now? How do people make these baffles work?

Help! If I don't get this tank started soon I'm going to go crazy.

Thanks!!

Jexai

Hermit
Apr 13, 2003
UK
marine.jexai.co.uk
If you are using acrylic sheets, can't you just round off the two bottom corners, that way it will reach all the way to the base of the tank and with a little silicone make a great fit :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store