Live Sand go Bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Looking at picking up some live sand from a forum member that has not had water flow or filtration in 2 weeks, its got water in it just sitting in the tank.

Im helping a friend start his 125G and were going to cycle the tank with LR and LS do you think the sand thats been sitting will be ok?

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
even if we are cycling the tank with fresh LR and a mix of the old/new sand
and hose water with Prime addative?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
yuppers..dont really see any reason to take a risk or see a need to use it..

even if we are cycling the tank with fresh LR and a mix of the old/new sand and hose water with Prime addative?
and i would not use old sand to put in the tank, i would go with a complete new sandbed and start from fresh, all nice and clean..

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes, because any life in it is going to be dead now along with any fish waste and such that was already trapped in it. Why risk the health of your tank on that?

As for the hose water you mentioned...please test your water before using it. Copper, phosphates, ammonia, nitrates, nitrates...

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Ditto to whats been said.. I wouldn't use it simply because since it has been sitting you have no clue what has happened chemically and you could be introducing something to your friends tank. Realistically for such a small tank your not going to be out that much cash to just run to the pet store and pick up a 20 lb bag of aragonite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store