33 gallon build/log thread!!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guppy1

Aquaria Central Supporter! Are You?
Mar 11, 2005
New York
ok, so i decided i was over populating the forum with so many questions, so i am making a bulid thread to minimize overpopulating, so here it goes,
i have a 33 gallon tank, it was given to me, all i had to do was re silicone it, so i stripped all the old silicone off and put new on, 3 days later i filled it up with water, here is what is in it, internal filter, crappy heater, (will be replaced with a metal one very soon), and a power head,(i will add one more power head very soon also!!!), the tank has been running like for about a week or so now, friday i orderd 22 lbs of LR, 2 LBS of live sand, and 50gal mix of salt, it should be here this friday or sooner, as soo as i get it i will add the salt to the tank and get it around 1.023-1.025 then i will add the LR and start my cycle, i am useing the pure ammonia method, (o, i have been meening to ask, what does SG stand for?), here is what i have for derections on how to cycle the tank, correct me if anything is wrong,
#1. get all the equipment running, heater, filter, power head.
#2.get temp around 80f, and sg (again what does sg stand for?) around 1.023-1.025.
#3.slowly add ammonia untill it reaches 4ppm-5ppm.
#4.after 4-5ppm is reached check params every few days.
#5. ammonia will go down and nitrates will go up, then spike, and then go down.
#6. nitrates will go up.
#7.after ammonia and nitrites spike, and then go to 0 they must stay zero, if they stay 0 for a few days do a water change and check params, if all good, i am ready for live stock!!!.,
well that is what i have for directions, i fell like someting is missing, is there? plz let me know if that sounds right, i appreciate it!!!,

just for the future, this the start o my stocking plan,

4 or more chromis
1 maroon white strip clown
lots of different crabs and shrimps, and snails
does that sound good for a start?
thanks for all you help, as soo i i get the LR i will take pics right away,:clap:
thanks,
Shane

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
ok, i just got off drsfostersmith live aquaria, i was looking at some fish for when my tanks is done!!! here is what i liked,

i like the maroon clown, but they are semi-aggresive, so i think i will go with the ocelleris one's may 2 of those if i add them at the same time? or just one?

i like the chromis, definatly gunn get 3 or more of them, how many do you suggest?

mayby a blenny?

i like the lobser, but i think he might eat some of the other invertsi like so i will save him fo one of my next saltwater projects!!!!!

i like the blue legged hermit crab, maybe lke 6 or so of them.
i like the peppermint shrimp, 5 or more ofg those?

and some snails, nt sure what kind,
well what do u think, can i add more, is that to much?
all oinions welcome,
thanks to all and have a great night,
Shane

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
#7.after ammonia and nitrites spike, and then go to 0 they must stay zero, if they stay 0 for a few days do a water change and check params, if all good, i am ready for live stock!!!.,
well that is what i have for directions, i fell like someting is missing, is there? plz let me know if that sounds right, i appreciate it!!!,

just for the future, this the start o my stocking plan,

4 or more chromis
1 maroon white strip clown
lots of different crabs and shrimps, and snails
does that sound good for a start?
thanks for all you help, as soo i i get the LR i will take pics right away,:clap:
thanks,
Shane
An observation on point number 7 from your list. Yes, ammonia and nitrite will both spike as you have said and fall back to zero...NitrATE will also spike and slowly fall down to about >10ppm...preferably lower...Its only when the nitrATES have spiked, fallen back down to >10ppm and stay there for a week without rising, then its time to do a large 50% water change and then "slowly" start to stock...

Personaly, in a tank of this size, i would not go for the 4 chromis, i would go for more of a variety of fish as you can really have that many in a 33gal tank..I would go with 4 fish maximum, but, thats just me..

Niko

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
My observations / suggestions are in red

ok, i just got off drsfostersmith live aquaria, i was looking at some fish for when my tanks is done!!! here is what i liked,

i like the maroon clown, but they are semi-aggresive, so i think i will go with the ocelleris one's may 2 of those if i add them at the same time? or just one?

You can add a pair together, which is always the best way to add them in my opinion..however, buying them one at a time, should not cause any issues..

i like the chromis, definatly gunn get 3 or more of them, how many do you suggest?

Refer to previous post regarding stocking, for just my opinion.

mayby a blenny? A blenny makes a great addition to a tank, a very personable fish

i like the lobser, but i think he might eat some of the other invertsi like so i will save him fo one of my next saltwater projects!!!!!

i like the blue legged hermit crab, maybe lke 6 or so of them. I would start off with 5 red leg and 5 blue leg hermits

i like the peppermint shrimp, 5 or more ofg those? 2 would be more than ample for a tank your size unless you have it outrun with Aiptasia

and some snails, nt sure what kind, A mixture of turbo and Cerith snails, again, about 5 of each to start with

well what do u think, can i add more, is that to much?
all oinions welcome,
thanks to all and have a great night,
Shane
Niko

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
ok, cool, can i get any chromis, and if so how many? i really like them alot and i think they would add great colour to the tank, atnixon, you are a great help and i thank you very much, as well as every one else on this forum, thanks guys, i cant wait to get my LR, only 3 more days,:):):):):)
shane

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
i would like mixed community tank, but would like to have chromis's,
thanks

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Due to the size of tank, your quite limited to fish numbers...as i said earlier, i would personaly only put 4 fish in....ok, maximum 5 if you have very good filtration...your options are still limited if you want a schoal of chromies and as a mixed community...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store