Old algae a problem????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Alright, well, before I re-did my 30gal planted, I had no clue what I was doing, and the tank got over run with algae. Since then i have tor it down, and started fresh. Now with the help of the Internet, I have learned soo much... But I have a question...

In my old set up, I had a piece of petrified wood that got covered in algae.
When i tore my old set up down, i just took the petrified wood out, and set it aside. Never cleaned it. Well, now, I was looking into placing it back in my tank. (As long as it doesn't raise the Ph too much)
I have boiled it for a over a total of 4 hours, and then scrubbed my hardest using a clean sponge and a tooth brush. It no longer feels slimy or anything, BUT the green color is still there...
Is the algae still "alive"?? would the green left on the rock be a boost of algae that i would be introducing into my tank??

Is it safe to use a bit of bleach to help me clean the petrified wood? or would the bleach seep into it???

Here are a few pics...

rock.jpg rock 1.jpg rock 2.jpg

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
I'd go ahead and give it a bleach dip. Just rinse it well afterward and soak it for a bit in a bucket with a bit of extra Prime. Should be fine.

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
if you let it dry out it will die.......... i dont think its a problem other then looks.
The petraifed wood had been sitting in my closet for over 3months. So then its dead?? How come before I scrubbed it, it still felt slimmy??

Also, do you agree that it is safe to use a bit of bleach??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store