Q's build thread for a 75 gallon tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
As many of you know I picked up and fixed a free 75 gallon tank. You can check it out here.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115272

I tested it for leaks for a few weeks and deemed it safe. With the cold weather coming I needed to get my act together. If I were to park my car in the space the tank was taking I needed to find a few things so I kept my eyes peeled. I found a 5' by 3' workbench and 4' by 2' fluorescent light fixture that were being tossed out at work. I had to mod the fixture down to 18" wide and I added some extra legs to the bench for some lateral support. I stuck a bottom shelf onto the stand. I still need to make a hood for the light and dress up the bench so it looks good from the TV room. I'm slowly soaking the driftwood as I make further plans.

Q

DSCN6359.JPG

DSCN6361.JPG

DSCN6359.JPG DSCN6361.JPG

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
good start! what do you have planned for the stand? doors? color? I think it would look good if you solidified the base more..its a sturdy tank with a solid start to a hood, the thin legs don't match the substantial quality of the tank and hood...this being said, obviously its a work in progress and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Here are some pictures of the hood I rigged up to raise and lower. I had some old sailing rigging I used to cable up the light fixture. I screwed a piece of wood to the floor joists and mounted some pulleys. I fed the cables through and used 20lbs of weight to counterbalance the fixture. It's nice to raise it up to work on the tank under light. If I decide to grow emergent aquatic plants I'll be set.
I'm soaking the wood I found this summer under water with the filter on this time. Maybe I wont get mold growing on it like I did when it was just floating around. I really have to get a big old pot to boil it but that's another story.

Q

DSCN6366.JPG

DSCN6367.JPG

DSCN6370.JPG

That's my 3yr old at this computer in the background. I think I'll need a background I can drop down for when company comes over.
DSCN6371.JPG

DSCN6366.JPG DSCN6367.JPG DSCN6370.JPG DSCN6371.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Awesome, Q! Great chunks of wood!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I love that setup, things are coming along nicely.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Umm... I hope it's not too late, but there seems to be a child in the tank, look at the last photo.

It's coming along nicely too :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store