Discus - Need Help, HITH, not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Due to PH problems I've been having (very unstable) my two smaller discus have become very ill, and stopped eating. I first thought it was because they were being bullied by, and not getting food, because of the large discus, but upon moving them to their own tank I could see they were very ill, with, I’m almost 100% hole in the head. I've been treating the whole tank with esha hexamita for 4/5 days, it seems to have cleared, but they are still not eating at all, or maybe only a few scraps when I’m not looking.

I've been trying to feed them bloodworm, beef heart, discus mix, tetra colour pro, tetra prime, but they are not interested in any of it. I even try to target feed them with bloodworms, but right in front of their face, they are not interested. They are clearly very very thin.

I'm wondering what to do next really, I've run out of esha hexamita, will get some more at the weekend.

I'm thinking: UV back on, Large water change, Carbon back in.

But what can I do. Should I try some live food (I'm not sure they would go for this), force feeding etc

What do you think? (rbishop?)

BTW Its also worth mentioning, I wormed them about....4 weeks ago.

Many Thanks

Nick

kr0nic

AC Members
Jul 2, 2007
Newcastle, Australia, NSW
Make sure the temps up high (30 Degrees C), keep doing partial daily water changes, try and find some live food for them perhaps ?

Oh and dont make 3 friggen topics in a row asking the same thing.

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Make sure the temps up high (30 Degrees C), keep doing partial daily water changes, try and find some live food for them perhaps ?
Temps at 30, will try and find some live food.

Oh and dont make 3 friggen topics in a row asking the same thing.
Hey, chill, AC was down for me, timeouts, connection refused etc, got no confimation it was posted. PMed mod on site and in chat, should be gone soon - cant delete it myself.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
typically with discus bump the temp and add salt
tho young discus can take temps to 90(32 c)

add an airstone

bt parasites don't do well in this temp.

the only issue that concerns me is possible that this could be bacterial in nature.
how long have they not been eating?
and in terms of worming what meds?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Star_rider - would Gel Tec drops be of any use, even if he had to try to get a couple of drops directly into the fish's mouth?

AngJo72

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
North Carolina
Heya,

84/86 is the highest I would go.. and give them some frozen blood worms or daphnia.. of course water changes.. Temp should help with whatever is going on.

Ang

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
gel might work deb you are right if you can get the gel into the mouth.
angjo72,
as for temp don't be afraid of 90's with discus.they can easily withstand higher temps than 84-86, I have had mine in 90 with no issues.
particulalry juveniles who seem to thrive in warm water.
it is actually quite common to treat stressed discus to 88-90 with salt you add an airstone to help the lower dissolved O2 in the warm water. at 88-90 the temp will kill most parasites.

the issue comes from bacteria which will have issues with salt.

how fast this progressed may also help point to the source of the problems. I asked about which meds were used as some are not effective with some parasites.
not eating, darkening and or clamped fins points to an internal issue.

hexamita generally refers to flagellated protozoans .
using meds like metronidazole is common for treatment of this problem. if it is this problem..ore recently there have been incidents with Capillaria ( not visible)and camillanus(visible as red threadlike protrusions.)
if these are present you will need to change meds to fenbenzadole, flubenzadole or Levamisol Hcl.
note...even after treatment the fish may not eat immediately.
adding blodworms(frozen/thawed) may trigger eating as might daphnia.

if they are not eating then treating the water may be the only option.

btw bacterial infections may also show similar Sx.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
say star, what about Epsom salt instead of regular salt? Regular salt will help the fish breath better in ammonia/nitrite but hes saying they aren't eating which makes me think constipated. Epsom salt is a laxative which could help the fish out more in my opinion.

My treatment would be.
1. Bump up temp to 88
2. UV back on
3. Larger water changes per day (or more frequent)
4. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt per 10 gallons
5. Replenish the salt after a water change (salt should only be dosed twice if it hasn't worked in a day it most likely wont work at all.)
6. Keep dosing HITH medications (i've never actually used a specific one)

If the above does not seem to help i would.
1. Dose regular salt (1-2 tablespoons per 10 gallons)
2. Keep up the water changes
3. Turn on UV
4. Keep Dosing medications

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Thanks for the advice, but, Im very sad to say one passed this morning, and the other is very very close behind. Its the first problems ive had with my discus in a long long time, and its breaking my heart.

I now need to focus on another discus, he is hiding at the back of the tank, he was eating, but Im not sure he did tonight, clamping his fins on and off, he dosent look thin, and no visible holes in the head, or any other visible problems, he does not seem thin from what I can see.

Im feeding everyone blood/white worms soaked in HITH meds, the UV is on, but Im going to start dosing meds in the tank again, and will need to turn the UV off.

Im very sure this is all HITH related, one of the rams had what looked like whitespot over his head, but could have been HITH.

how long have they not been eating?
The small ones, maybe a week.

and in terms of worming what meds?
They were wormed with a discus worming powder containing flubendazole, from a flubenol premix containing flubendazole 50%

EDIT: I also have Epsom salt in stock, use it? safe to use with HITH meds?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if they are bloated that would point to possible constipation.

the smaller discus have a much higher metabolism than the older discus .
one reason they handle warm water.
that mix would have removed most internal parasites,
which leads me to think possible bacterial infection.

after using the meds you did a large water change?

also if they are bloated one side effect of the meds is..they may not pass internal parasites(also indicative of bloating)

epsoms can be used in a bath if you chose to remove the affected fish and try a 20-30 min bath.

I hate to say this but you can perform and 'autopsy' on the deceased fish..I did it once on a keyhole that was fine then died..i found it was a she and had become egg bound.

do you have qt tank available?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store