Convict fry questions etc...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
hey folks:)

ok, i have 2 robust parents in a 20 gallon. their very first batch of fry from this summer had say about 250 fry, i still have about 40 growing (i put a divider in the tank). they did not (that i'm aware) eat any. i think they died for other reasons. i've only just fed the fry powdered flakes.

ok so now i just set up another 20 gallon strictly for raising convict fry. the 40 will go in there as soon as the cycling on that tank is complete, which will be soon now.

about a week ago though, they had their 2nd batch of about 300 fry. they were taking care of them just like before. all seemed great. unfortunately i was unintentionally away for 2 days and none of the fish were fed and i returned to see only about 30 fry right down in the gravel where they usually were. today, no signs of ANY fry. i suspect they were eaten. could those 2 days of no grub have triggered this? i also have large rock formations and plants and flower pots and PVC pipe, could they be hiding them so well? what do you think?

finally, when they spawn again i don't want to take the chance and i want to remove the fry as best i can. when is it safe to do so, as soon as they can actually free-swim? what do you feed them and how. my con fry ALWAYS seem to favor staying right down near the gravel and never go to the surface to eat until they start growing to around 1/2" so i can't see them actually feeding unless it sinks or something

ty

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I read a great idea thread on breeding Con fry. I'll look for it.

But basically the guy had 2 tanks.

Once the fry were born he waited 2 weeks,the fry need the parents for 2 weeks, then moved the parents to the other tank.

Once they spawned again the 1st batch was old enough,big enough to remove for feeders,so he would move the parents back to tank 1.

When they spawned in tank 1 he waited then moved parents back to tank 2.

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I have a breeding pair of convicts and with mine, i think the father sometimes eats the fry. When they are free swimming the mom takes them to all different spots in the 20 gallon tank, high and low, and they're happy but when the dad comes into the picture the mom seems very alert and she tries to chase him or even push him away from the fry.

My two cons are still quite young so they didn't produce too many fry. I was able to salvage about 10-15 or so. I didn't actually count them. The easiest way for me too get the fry is to either take out both parents and put them in 2 separate floating breeding boxes while i remove the fry or just remove the mom and then remove the fry. The dad didn't try to protect them at all, he just hides until I'm done. If i left the mom in there however she'll just attack the net and protect her fry the best she can.

As far as feeding goes, while they were in the tank with the parents i just fed regular size flakes and crushed flakes. Either way the parents would gather food for the fry. In a fry tank i just go with crushed flake food because even if they don't swim up top to eat, the water falling from the filter pushes the food down anyway so they still get there food.

Good luck with your newborns!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
As far as feeding goes, while they were in the tank with the parents i just fed regular size flakes and crushed flakes. Either way the parents would gather food for the fry. In a fry tank i just go with crushed flake food because even if they don't swim up top to eat, the water falling from the filter pushes the food down anyway so they still get there food.

Good luck with your newborns!
ty:) ^^i see what you mean here and you're right, the filter will push the flakes down. i have a 20 g just for the 30 or so fry i have from the first spawn. they seem happy swimming everywhere, enjoying the decor.

i also finally converted to sand in the parent tank. i really like the exotic look. when i look at my natural gravel now i wanna puke:lol2: will post a few stills and maybe a short video soon as i can.:thm:

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I have sand as well and the parents love it. Just be careful that your filter doesn't suck up any sand or the babies!

Know whats funny? i literally just noticed about 5 minutes ago that my cons have hundreds of free swimming fry! They're dug a hole in the sand under one of the cave walls and now have the fry are outside the cave with the mom and the other half inside with the dad! This is the most fry my pair have had yet! I'm getting a 30 gallon tomorrow so when I've got that setup I'll be moving the either the parents or the fry.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
I have sand as well and the parents love it. Just be careful that your filter doesn't suck up any sand or the babies!

Know whats funny? i literally just noticed about 5 minutes ago that my cons have hundreds of free swimming fry! They're dug a hole in the sand under one of the cave walls and now have the fry are outside the cave with the mom and the other half inside with the dad! This is the most fry my pair have had yet! I'm getting a 30 gallon tomorrow so when I've got that setup I'll be moving the either the parents or the fry.
i think my filter already did suck up a bit. it's used and was given too me and has been a tad noisy the last couple years so i kina want it to crap out so i can buy a new quiet one. congrats on the fry. i'm waiting for these two for spawn 3, hopefully they don't get eaten this time.

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I wouldn't for that one to break, you should invest in a new one soon. good filtration is important. Also if you're not using a sponge filter (so that the fry dont get sucked up) you should do something like put hosiery over the intake or something similar.

AngJo72

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
North Carolina
Heya,

Congrats on the spawning!! One of the good things about convicts is they are great beginner cichlids and they breed like rabbits.. If you make errors, they will reward you soon enough with a new batch!

That being said, I never had a problem with my male eating the fry, but I think this could be the case. Now my krib pair did well, until their 3rd batch and the female caught the male eating fry and beat him up. LOL! Had to find her a new mate.

I would try a nice seasoned sponge filter they are awesome!

Good luck with the cons they were my first cichlid over 10 years ago and one of my favorites still today!

Be well!

Ang

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store