fire bellied toad tank!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ordinaryoddity

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Central FL
hey guys, new here

im really interested in starting a FBT tank, but still have just a few things that are boggling me a little bit:

i plan on housing about 3 or 4 FBTs in a 20L tank with a nice water feature in there somewhere

as far as land/water division goes, im thinking about going the eggcrate route (looks efficient/simple/fun)

but what kind of substrate should i use?

i was thinking about clay pellets with some moss over them... (help with some types?)

what kind of maintenance is needed with the different kinds of substrate? (this might make my decision a little easier)

also, something to clean the tank a little would be nice, some kind of bottom-feeding fish (that can handle the toxins and not get eaten) maybe?

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
thanks a lot!
Andrew :frog:

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
in a 20 long you have a lot of length to work with. The best way ive seen is just siliconing a piece of plexi-glass or glass on an angle to separate the water and land. Unless you plan on planting, I wouldnt use any type of moss, or soil. I just use river type rocks from petsmart. The soil just spoils the water, and clogs the filter, and is soo messy, I hated it. Now with the rocks I dont have to worry about that mess getting into the water or anything. Im actually doing my 20 long soon for them and im cutting a piece of slate and just going to sit it ontop a pile of gravel.
And why would you need fish to clean the water? Your just polluting the water adding fish and food FOR the fish. You just get a filter and your fine.

like this kind of -- clean and simple.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Welcome to AC!

Firebelly toad tanks are pretty straightforward and substrate makes little of a difference. A lot of people seem to use regular gravel as it works great!

as for the bottom feeding fish....theres nothing small enough for your tank.

ordinaryoddity

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Central FL
cool, thanks

i should be setting this up within the next month or two, ill be sure to post my progress :)

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Edit: Can't make a pic with underscores, srry :( my idea had been a kind of thing like this:
.... ___
___/

Except with maybe 3 shelves, leaving a small graveled section of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store