New Reef or Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I have been thinking to start a salt water tank for 2 months now and I was wondering if It would be best to kep reef tank or fish tank. I have a 35G to start with and a 18G. What can I put in their and what can I expect. One thing more I cannot find fish store that sells coral food. So is there anything I can make in home to feed them.

Please check these fish and tell me what is the hardy fish for beginners, (dont want clowns). I was thinking of keeping Royal Gramma and cleaner goby.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_marine_aquarium_fish_species

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
1) Reef tank in general is going to be more of a challenge to start out with... but you'll probably want some more colour in your tank down the line, so I'd start up fish only but with the intentions of adding corals down the line. Also note that reef tanks will usually require more equipment, eg. more test kits, power heads, protein skimmer (Though I'd recommend a skimmer regardless of fish only/reef).

2) As far as the tanks, I'd hook them both up in a system and use the 35 as a display, and the 18 for a sump, (or possibly a second display...). Then I'd grab a 10g to use as a quarantine tank, or forget the sump idea and use the 18 as the QT if your tight on funds.

3) Most of the time corals won't need to be directly fed; most are photosynthetic, meaning they get the bulk of their energy from light. For the non - photosynthetic ones, the ones which do rely on food however, coral food usually ends up being the same stuff you feed to your fish (eg. sun corals will eat mysis shrimp).

Keep in mind though, the corals getting their energy from light will mean standard lighting isn't gonna cut it, and the lights can get quite costly depending on what your keeping.

4) Most of the fish in the easy and easy-moderate care level sections should be good for you to start out, provided adequate research on marine husbandry and the fish's themselves.

With your tank size(s?) you shouldn't be keeping anything large, 4-5 inch fish would be kinda pushing it size wise for the 35, and nothing above 2-3 inches should go in the 18 (going by adult fish size, not purchase size). Of course, you need to know more than just size and care level, so always extensively research your fish selections (before you buy!).

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Julian, is correct that you would find it more of a challenge for you need to take it one step out of a time and as for any article links you may find, beware that many of these links are out of date and the data requires much correction. For a sample, the large angelfishes the link list, I wouldn't take it as if it were just that simple. For one thing with large angels we need a larger tank and its always so much easy to list something like a "Moderate" species.
Like in that link, their the Holacanthus passer as moderate and it as the blueline can be quite aggressive. So in general, no matter what you be doing, corals or other wise, much research is involved. Myself, I just gotten past the part to what equipment im too have and now im searching on ideas to which corals I could manage in my 150.

You must not be in a fire hurry to simply setup and stock, for that leads only to failure for most :crazy:

I agree with Julian on if this is a 35 tank on the fish size idea, I myself would look to stay even with noting growing larger then 3.5" to 4" in a small system as that. You not want to over do it on the tank bio load for adding as many fish means over feeding. This is why for the most part I love to do larger tanks because within smaller tanks, you will be at the tanks limited bio load and fast.

Sorry if im not with the ability to explain this as better as I would like, but im sure that you understand my meaning to it all. :grinyes:

Again as Julian says, always do extensively research your fish selections (before you buy!) And this is by no means any exception to corals>

With no intentions to highjack here, Julian, there is a guy at my corner gas station that I ask him of his 125 soft coral tank and I not remember the MH he told me he has, but it sounded as if he said like he has 110 or something like it. But anyway,, he not changed his bulbs for two years now and i told him that once I get started, i would need to change the MH bulbs once a year and the VHO in lesser time then that.. That is why i will be keeping a log record of the tanks and their live stock (maintenance)
So think slow on the setup of your tank for its always better first to think in the tank size you would need for most of what your in plan to do.

ideas1400, I seen to many through the years who setup a tank, what if it be a 30 or 150 and some those had some of the worst equipment for their tanks and I always remember this one who had a 75 gal reef tank set up. I took a drive out to one the lfs an hour drive from me some years ago and this person was looking to sell his tank and equipment. I took a look at everything and first ask him what was his problem, and he said that everything died soon after he had it in the tank.

The thing is before I told him of what I thought of his equipment for his tank, i asked him one other question, how long was the tank setup for> He said the tank was running not more then a few months. He told me that he was adding corals into his tank at the second week of setup. I told him that after the cycle was completed that he was to start with a easy corals of two to begin the tank aging process and that after he gotten past a point some months later, he can stock it to better.

But on his equipment wise, i told him that there was nothing that I could use out of it, that he had all the wrong equipment for that size a tank. He was using as well a cheap HOB filter with a UV that also HOB as well, but I not remember the lighting he had. But in those few weeks or months that he had nothing but failure, he called it quits.

So is anything your not sure of, ask the people here, they will be more then happy to assist you on any question you might have, its better to be safe then sorry later on.

Buddy

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I have understood most that have been said here. And now I want to know which fish to keep and how many of them. I dont want clowns. What corals eats mysis shrimps and which can eat powder flake food.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Usually, part of the joy about putting together our own tanks is that we each look to take the most participation in its construction from setup and make what fish or coral select as well. But as for yourself in this matter to what if you should do corals, I would suggest that you look to get a better handle first maintaining FO, and if in a years time or so and you managed to keep zero nitrite levels an extreme low nitrate levels, then I would say that you should be ready to attempt keeping corals.

The choice is entirely your own, and that goes as well in making some selection of fish that you would like to have. Like, do you have a favorite fish you like? If so, then build you tank selection around it!

Its like myself, im a similar situation to where I need to select myself a list of coral under lighting I never keep before and for right now, im doing my own search and will put together a selection list from what i find and then I will ask others of their opinion of it, what to remove or possibly add.

We all in whatever our goal be, we need to research what were about to do or research in each marine species we`re looking to keep. Do not make your selection simply by size of the fish, for like in the first name list, there be few that in so small a tank you not be able to manage them.

Here is something for you to help you with a better understanding in what your looking to do>
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/newbie/index.php

These are some ideas:
Flame Cardinal
(Apogon maculatus)
Bangai Cardinal
( Pterapogon Kauderni)
Flame Hawk
(Neocirrhites armatus)
Six Line Wrasse
(Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)

Others to look into:
Assessor
Pseudocheilinus
Gramma
Archamia
Coryphopterus
Labroides
Pseudocoris
Eviota
Cheilodipterus
Pseudochromis
Gobiosoma
Lythrypnus
Trimma
Hoplolatilus
Apogon
Pseudojuloides

You could also look into if you like keeping a small puffer;
Canthigaster

On all of the above , I added no second name for the list would be so long, its only to give you some idea to what your looking for. there are any number of other smaller growing species that I not mention here, but still this would giving you enough for as well, you will need smaller LR pieces to create lots of hiding places and I would say at most you have is about 5-6 fish and if you selected from those that are aggressive, your selection could become less.

But one of the main keys here for anything like this to work for you, you will need to get smaller LR and create a small mountain of caves and holes, and please not over look your tanks water currents, you not want them so strong, on the mild side.

Good Luck :thm:

Buddy

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Okey I have a somewhat idea what I want. But to tell you the truth I have no idea about salt water fish and corals. Its for 35 Gallon 30x15x18 tank. I can also make a 28G 24x18x15 or 37G 48x12x15. I am not going to start the tank tomorrow, it will take like 2 or 3 months and if possible the tank can be like bigger 50G 36x18x18 or also 67G 36x18x24 but dont want a bigger tank. I want small one like 35G or less.

I want my tank to look like the one in the movie Nemo. Blue gravel and purple plants. But dont want Clown fish. Small fish that are not aggressive. If purple plants are not avaiable then can I have like purple corals (I think I cant keep plants alive for like more then a month). Also can I make combination of purple/blue and red corals. Also some blue/purple and red coral that looks like a leaf or like starts with a stem and becomes a leaf. And if no blue substrate is available then what? Is blue coral avaiable for substrate or can I crush some to make substrate. And may be some worm corals that open and close, and come in and goes in and out (not sure if I want one). Will corals eat crushed flake food or crushed blood worms or cruches betta pellets.
Leaf Plate Montipora Coral

Acropora Coral, Blue

Acropora Coral, Purple

Red Candy Cap Coral - Aquacultured

Tube Coral, Orange

Brain Coral, Lobophyllia

Flower Pot Coral - True Red

Or Plants like these
Kelp on Rock, Smooth Leaf

Kelp on Rock, Grape

I need some corals that can eat powdered flake food. I guess there are none. Are there any?

First of all I need a fish that is cleaner. I guess a goby or two. But I dont like this blue and black colour of this goby.
Neon Blue Goby - Tank-Bred

Are there any more beautiful cleaners?

I need a fish that look like fresh water angelfish. Some fish that is flat and not fat like goldfish for my main display fish. Only want one species of flat fish and if aviable in small size (small species) then I want more than one.
Heniochus Black and White Butterflyfish Want this one for sure. Dont like the other two really.

Spotted Cardinalfish

Kaudern's Cardinal

Dont want Yellow Tang.

Some fish that is yellow and elongated and swims in the view and not hides. Like these ones.
Bicolor Pseudochromis

Purple Stripe Pseudochromis

Also want these but I am not sure.
Fridmani Pseudochromis - Tank-Bred

Yellowtail Damselfish

These are very cool I want one of these species. If they swim in front and in plane view. Three or four if they are like schooling type.
White Blenny

Harptail Blenny

Jawfish, Yellowhead Like this one alot by the picture and want one or more for sure. Want this one for sure.

Midas Blenny

And there is a fish I found on the internet. Cannot see it on the website provided. Can I get one or more of these. This fish I want most. Started to think to start a saltwater because of it. Want this one for sure.

BoarFace_PaulParsons.jpg

Boarfish_AH.jpg

Boarfish_PW-Large.jpg

BoarFish-portrait_PP.jpg

Capros0407-RA.jpg

And this one too. Want this one for sure.
Firefish

Please reply but adding these pics so I can see how beautiful your combination looks. You can also add fish other then these.

Or should I just get small jelly fish that have no tenticals.
Or may be a octopus.

BoarFace_PaulParsons.jpg Boarfish_AH.jpg Boarfish_PW-Large.jpg BoarFish-portrait_PP.jpg Capros0407-RA.jpg

Last edited:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Okey I have a somewhat idea what I want. But to tell you the truth I have no idea about salt water fish and corals. Its for 35 Gallon 30x15x18 tank. I can also make a 28G 24x18x15 or 37G 48x12x15. I am not going to start the tank tomorrow, it will take like 2 or 3 months and if possible the tank can be like bigger 50G 36x18x18 or also 67G 36x18x24 but dont want a bigger tank. I want small one like 35G or less.
The bigger the better. But you might want to check into a 40g breeder tank. It is a good starter size and the room front to back will give you some aquascaping options. Other than that I'd recommend you go for a longer tank versus a tall one. Better option all around in most situations.

I want my tank to look like the one in the movie Nemo.
Eh, remember that the movie is based on a horrific tank set-up for what had to live in the tank.

Blue gravel and purple plants.
You don't want gravel in a SW tank, you want sand. You could also go with a bare bottom, but not gravel. The purple plants will either be macro algaes or fake plants. I'd skip the fakes as they'll just be a pain in the neck to clean and the trend is definitely towards a natural looking tank.

But dont want Clown fish. Small fish that are not aggressive. If purple plants are not avaiable then can I have like purple corals (I think I cant keep plants alive for like more then a month). Also can I make combination of purple/blue and red corals.
Yes you can have those colors in corals but they tend to be SPS corals most of the time and will require strong lighting and adequate Ca and Mg. There are other options in those colors that include zoanthids, polyps, mushrooms, even non photosynthetic corals that require you to hand feed them. But again the widest range of the colors you're listing like purple come in SPS corals.

Also some blue/purple and red coral that looks like a leaf or like starts with a stem and becomes a leaf.
That sounds more like macro algae to me than coral. Coral is actually an animal. If it isn't macroalgae it could be gorgonians, such as sea fans and such. Some of them really require advanced care and many of the brighter ones require the hand feeding I mentioned above.

And if no blue substrate is available then what? Is blue coral avaiable for substrate or can I crush some to make substrate.
Again, coral is an animal. If you were to crush it, it would die like any other animal. When coral dies it either melts (softies) or it leaves just the skeleton (LPS and SPS) which is white until alagaes grow on it. I'd sincerely ditch the blue substrate idea and stick with sand or a bare bottom if you're wanting to provide a good home for what you stock.

And may be some worm corals that open and close, and come in and goes in and out (not sure if I want one).
That sounds like feather duster worm..an actual marine worm, not a coral. Those are good beginner things to have.

Will corals eat crushed flake food or crushed blood worms or cruches betta pellets.
Eh, sometimes they'll catch it and eat it but it isn't what you want to feed them. And you don't want to feed them FW fish food at all. Most corals will get their food from your light which is why they are photosynethic (actually it is the Zooanthella that lives in the coral that gets food from the light and the coral dines on the zooanthella but just think simple and stick with the corals needing light for food in most cases) Some corals can be target fed, but typically you use marine carnivore food such as mysid shrimp or cyclopeeze. As I mentioned above there are corals that require this (the non photosynethic kinds). Then there are also reefers that feed their reefs microscopic type foods with pearl eggs and such. These go by names like Reef Chili, etc.

I have gotten rid of the photos in the post to save room but left the names there with comments

SPS coral, it will be a good starter SPS but keep in mind that SPS are not beginner creatures. They are demanding when it comes to your set up and the water parameters.

Acropora Coral, Blue
Acropora Coral, Purple
SPS, same as above but I'd not call it a starter and again the best purple and blue colors typically come with experience.

SPS, a good starter when you're ready to tackle the SPS corals. However the red is another tricky color sometimes. The orange and greens tend to be a wee bit easier for the newer SPS keepers.

Tube Coral, Orange
This would be one of those nonphotosynethic corals I mentioned you'll need to hand feed. Although there are people in this forum that got them when they were new to the hobby in all cases they read read read on them to be successful keeping them.

Brain Coral, Lobophyllia
LPS coral, I'd not get it as my first coral but it would be a good one to try before you move up to SPS for certain.

Flower Pot Coral - True Red
I'd stay clear of this, gonipora typically die within a few months. They are for the advanced aquarist and even they seem to stay clear of them in many circumstances.

Or Plants like these
Kelp on Rock, Grape
Macroalgae, will be good for your tank as it will help by outcompeting microalgae (nuisance algae) for nutrients.

I need some corals that can eat powdered flake food. I guess there are none. Are there any?
Why do you need this?

First of all I need a fish that is cleaner. I guess a goby or two. But I dont like this blue and black colour of this goby. Neon Blue Goby
You don't technically need one but they are nice to have. I choose to use cleaner shrimp instead. There are other cleaner gobies that have yellow where the blue is on this one and there are a few others as well. I'd stick with the cleaner gobies if you want a cleaner fish versus a cleaner shrimp. Please do NOT buy a cleaner wrasse.

I need a fish that look like fresh water angelfish. Some fish that is flat and not fat like goldfish for my main display fish. Only want one species of flat fish and if aviable in small size (small species) then I want more than one.
Heniochus Black and White Butterflyfish Want this one for sure. Dont like the other two really.
In that case, bump your tank size up to at least 100g and plan on getting more than one as they are schooling fish. They grow to over 7" by the way

Spotted Cardinalfish
Kaudern's Cardinal
These fish would be more appropriate for the size tanks you're talking about.

Dont want Yellow Tang.
Good because surgeonfish need larger tanks than what you mentioned earlier.

Some fish that is yellow and elongated and swims in the view and not hides. Like these ones.
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Purple Stripe Pseudochromis
Fridmani Pseudochromis - Tank-Bred
Yellowtail Damselfish
All the above are aggressive fish and I believe you said you didn't want that. For a replacement fish for the pseudochromis consider a Royal Gramma which has bright purple and orange coloring and a similiar size and shape.

These are very cool I want one of these species. If they swim in front and in plane view. Three or four if they are like schooling type.
White Blenny
Harptail Blenny
Midas Blenny
Not bad choices but you don't want more than one kind or really more than one total from any of this type in a small tank you're looking at.

Jawfish, Yellowhead Like this one alot by the picture and want one or more for sure. Want this one for sure.
A good fish for the size tank you're wanting. However stick with only one. This is a great time to underscore NOT using gravel in your tank. This fish likes to build burrows in the substrate and will pretty much disappear into it at night and at other times as well. It needs a substrate that includes some medium aragonite and some smaller particles as well. Gravel would not work. It will also need what is called a deep sand bed (DSB) for this.

And there is a fish I found on the internet. Cannot see it on the website provided. Can I get one or more of these. This fish I want most. Started to think to start a saltwater because of it. Want this one for sure.
I'm not certain what this one is really, did it say on the site you found it on? Perhaps a direct link to it?

And this one too. Want this one for sure.
Firefish
Good choice, probably the best selection you've mentioned other than the cardinals.

Or should I just get small jelly fish that have no tenticals.
Or may be a octopus
I'd not do either frankly, not until you get a bunch more reading under your belt and a basic understanding of what makes a healthy sw or sw reef tank as well as what different creatures such as corals actually are. I'm really glad you're asking for help before buying and congrats to you for that. But one thing you need to do in this hobby is read read read and really never stop reading.

I think once you start understanding the basics of running a healthy tank you'll change what you want to put in it based on your budget, the amount of knowledge you have at that point, and hopefully the welfare of what you're committing to take care of in it. An example is that in the 30g tank you're mentioning way at the top...I'd not put more than maybe 5 small fish in it. SW fish actually drink the water they are in unlike FW fish and you'll not want a big bioload. It isn't like FW where some use the guideline of 1" of fish per gallon. Even experienced FW people will tell you that guideline gets many into trouble because of variables it doesn't consider.

So my advice? Now that you have a feeling for what might be out there, take the things I've said above along with what advice you're given by others and start reading.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Ok I did told you to add pics but you didnt and you used SPS not its full name. Now its nmore like confusing to me more than helpful. What to do now, am scratching my head in dispare. I dont know SPS by name or for that matter anything that has to do with saltwater. Thats why I wanted to see pics. This is a reply that is very helpful but I cannot make a thing out of it because I have no Idea recaling corals and algea or plants by name because I have never seen them.

Ok I will get all this information in my head and make a picture some how. But you didnt told me which fish to get. Its like tell me what should I get. I have no idea what I want. I have a bad habbit of buying things before reading about them. Thats why I did all this work to get all the reading first. If you leave it to me then this will be like telling me buy what ever you want to. Thats bad.

Here is a list of what I think you said I can get.
5 fish. But you know me I like to get more.
35 Fallon tank. Or 40 Gallon long tank? Is that the size you said.
3 of these Jawfish, Yellowhead

2 of these Firefish

2 of these
Neon Blue Goby - Tank-Bred

4 of these Midas Blenny

and 4 of royal gourama

And I have no idea what coral you said except for a worm thing that I dont know what it eats....

Last edited:

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I dont want this to be offinsive or like anything disrespectful. I honestly need help. And that orange fish that has lots of pics of it is a boar fish. http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Homepage.html Its on this website. Please do a google search for it please.

And the coral that is leaf like are these I guess.

And the plants are like these

Kelp on Rock, Grape

And I didnot understood anything about feeding corals.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store