Gotta Love Craiglist Free - Live Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'd post the ad, but the guy already took it down. I'm getting 40 lbs each of 3 different types of live sand. One 40 lbs. is generic LFS type and the other two are the higher grade stuff. The guy said it was in his tank for over a year and is loaded with stuff. He's moving and hates to see it go to waste.

I have to quickly get the tank up and running to be able to receive it. I plan to hook the 40 breeder I have (has durso standpipe overflow and return drilled) to the 40 long sump/wet-dry I have. There's a nice space in the middle that will work as a refugium. I'm also going to hook up the 30" old school venturi skimmer I have.

The sump/wet-dry is one of the gems I got with the 210 gallon I bought for $100. Another craigslist answer to my ad I place for looking for aquariums.

Good thing I just bought that Marine Master test kit. Going to pick up salt tomorrow. I have a couple eheim pumps (two different sizes) that I can use. Those came with the 210 as well. I'm sure I have an extra heater. Have hydrometer.

What a nice jumpstart on my two tank SW system this will be.

It's been a while since I've had a SW tank up. Anyone care to give me a quick checklist so I make sure I'm good to go?

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
there is a checklist out there somewhere by grins and another by jojo? i think. i love cl i am finding deals everyday. i do the same thing and post wanted stuff for aquariums.

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
I would be more than a little concerned. I would just use maybe a little bit to "seed" the aquarium and use new for the rest. Or if I were to use it all, I would have to rinse it all in saltwater first. Good luck with whatever you decide.:thumbsup:

Matt

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Well, it's going into a completely empty tank and refugium. I'll have plenty of time to sift through it, do water changes, and get it cleaned up. I'm not mixing it in an already established tank. I'm using it to start one. If the guy was trying to sell it, I'd have passed. He seems to be a knowledgeable aquarist and simply doesn't want it to go to waste.

I find it funny though. Everyone didn't answer my question. Just told me not to use it. Except soccerkidbs

Last edited:

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
I find it funny though. Everyone didn't answer my question. Just told me not to use it. Except soccerkidbs[/quote]

I said to use some to seed or rinse with saltwater well, and as far as a checklist, what are you planning on keeping in this tank? Reef, FOWLR, Fish only, just coral. Equipment list may vary some depending on what you want to do. :thumbsup:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Agreed, other than pointing you to the Down & Dirty Shopping List in the DIY forum and the new article by JoJo in the Newbie forum along with the stickies there we really need more info. For instance are you the one that mentioned starting an octopus tank recently?

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
i would get a copper test kit and have the test the sand some how for copper. i would run as many tests on it as possible to make sure that there is nothing harmful that will leach into your tank. i don't know what these tests may be but i am sure there are some. i would rinse it very well. here is a picture of some of the stuff i found in my sand bed just by sifting through it. after finding all that junk i took out the sand and rinsed it in saltwater and got it all clean.

IMG_3233.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store