things growing on my live rock...good or bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
I've recently upgraded my lighting system(130watts over my 29g tank), and noticed a whole lot of new growth on my live rock.

first I noticed what, after some research, is known as a glass anemone? found out theyre annoying and its best to get rid of them, and luckily it was on a small enough piece of live rock that it wont be missed

I also noticed , and I know its hard for you to help without pics buttttt, please try, what I can best describe as a very small, white, flower looking thing. Not sure if it's what they call a featherduster or not, but it retracts into the rock when scared. are these good or bad?? I've only noticed about 2 so far, both on the same piece of rock

I also noticed multiple (10+) growths on multiple pieces of rock which almost look like tiny, little, white trees if you will. it's hard to tell, but it seems like that have fuzzy tips. anyways, they are growing and once again I was wondering, good or bad???

thanks so much for all your help (in advance)

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
yeah the second one does sound like featherdusters. They will start spreading eventually but like grins says, they're harmless filterfeeders. They also become good food source if you have any butterflies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store