baby oscar fish eating habits(2-3 inches)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishie-fishie

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
:1zhelp: i recently purchased 2 oscars and firstly i fed them tropical fish flake food and hey would put it in their mouth and spit it out and let it fall to the bottom . sometimes they would swallow it then they would throw it up. i really want to know what is going on please help

scott-kim

AC Members
May 30, 2007
You should stay away from live feeders, they most likely bring disease or parasites to your tank eventaully.
Try frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis, and tubifex(freeze dried would work as well) along with 2 different good quality omnivore cichlid pellet or sticks. Earthworms and krill would also be good.

fishie-fishie

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
i baught cichlid floting pellets today and they eat them and go to the botom for a while and i can see it is still in their mouth is this normal?

canucksfan1

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Gibsons, B.C.
yeah mine does it too he goes to the bottom to eat it, but he always comes back up for more when he is done, it might be that the pellets are a little bit to big mine is about 3 inches and i feed him medium pellets instead of the small and he does the same thing yours doesn but nothing to worry about IMO

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
My oscar goes nuts for crickets... but stick mainly with food made for oscars.

jcpaisley

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
I get frozen beefheart gumdrops for mine...he loves them so much, I have trouble getting him to eat his pellets...

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Did anybody read the size of his fish? At 2-3 inches, they can't handle the smallest of the pellets so Cichlid flakes or tropical flakes would be ideal at this stage, along with some brine shrimp. They are WAAAAAAAAAY too small to try to tackle Rosy reds as someone suggested. If they keep spitting the food out and you're sure it's not coming out of their gills, since Oscars are VERY messy eaters, then I would try skipping a day or two before feeding them again. They will learn to accept what's given to them after being hungry for a couple of days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store