anemone almost gave me a heart attack

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nicole1788

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Va
i woke up this morning and my BTA was deflated and limp looking, i just got him yesterday so i thought he died! :thud: Why is he deflating? Now hes fine all perky and everything. My tank is almost a year old. Im new to anemones so any help would be great. I read up on them, but i think i missed the part where they deflat and perk back up. :hypnotized:

jmeltzer

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Pomona, NY
This behavior is completely normal.
They do this to expel their waste and replace their bodies and tentacles with fresh water.

Here is a site with a ton of useful info.
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

What kind of anem anyway...got any pics?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Agree with the above post, nems due this on a quite frequent basis and it shouldn't be alarming. When you should be alarmed is when they aren't perking back up like they normally do. As you live with your new nem your going to learn his biorhythm and know what his normal habits are..

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I've had a condy in my tank for several months.. He does this quite a bit.. I was equally freaked out a little the first few times, and gave him the ol smell test.. He was fine.

Just one of those weird things these unusual creatures do..

On another note, my elephant ear anemone died.. That was quite obvious something was wrong.. He apparently blew out his stomach, then commenced to start shrinking in a totally unnatural looking way.
Smell test.

Stunk to high heaven...

dead.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Agreed, this is normal behavior for an anemone when they have moved to a new tank. I'd not worry unless it stays that way, has a torn foot, or starts to bleach a bunch. I'd love to a see a photo of your bta, I just got a rbta myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store