Need Help. 4 goldfish and a 5g tank.. :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Krutch

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
So my pregnant girlfriend decided during the weekend she wanted some goldfish. So we went down and bought a 5.5gallon tank and we bought 3 goldfish. My girlfriend wanted 6, the store clerks allowed her 3 and said they can't warranty them. I thought that was kind of strange. So being the person I am and don't know anything about goldfish I started looking up tons of information. I first found that goldfish can live longer than a year and don't just exist in those little bowls that I had always thought my whole life :) I also found that we need a much larger tank. I tried to tell my girlfriend and she still insisted she wanted more goldfish. So I convinced her to only get 1 more fish instead of 3 more. So now we have 4 beautiful little active goldfish swimming around. I don't want them to die. We are going to buy every test kit needed for water this weekend and she wants to get a 10g tank.. But I know that is still not big enough.

I live in an apartment so we cant get a HUGE tank like I want. The biggest we would probably get is a 20g. How fast do Goldfish grow. We will be in our own house by this time next year. But will they last that long? How big of a tank would you recommend for now. They are about 1'' - 1.5'' at the moment. They are all fancy goldfish, 2 black moors, a gold oranda and a red cap.

I know we should have a 30g + 10g for each extra but thats not gonna happen and I know she wont return them, heh. So I need to find the best way to deal with what we have.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
get the 20g tank. or get something bigger and tell your girlfriend it's only 20g. it doesn't sound like she'll care enough to find out if you are telling the truth or not.

filter the tank at least twice as much, or even three times as much as the tank size. if you get a 20g tank, put a filter on it rated for 50-60g. if you get a 30, go for 75-90g filtration.

do water changes at least twice a week once the goldies get bigger, around 3 inches. weekly changes are fine until then, around 50%.

don't overfeed them.

learn origami so when the fish get big you can fold them in a way that allows them all to fit in the tank but they still look like goldfish.

most importantly in your situation - talk to your gf and find out why she is refusing to acknowledge that the fish need more space and care than she first thought. i don't know you, or your life, or your girlfriend, but i personally would be worried about the "bigger picture" if my significant other couldn't go a little bit out of their way to take care of a pet properly. it's not like HER world is going to end if she can't have 4 or 6 goldfish, but the world IS going to end for those goldfish, sooner rather than later.

outside of your limitations, my advice would be to either return all the fish, get a 20-30g tank and only keep one fish, or get a 55-75g tank and keep them all.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
:iagree: very well said, wataugachicken! and good idea, kimmi.

i'd also add that i would use a canister filter, as they are easier to maintain without losing all your good bacteria. in my opinion, of course.

you may also try explaining to your girlfriend that four goldfish are going to be four times as expensive as one goldfish.
think about having to use double filtration. that means two filters. at least twice the cost. a larger tank to keep all four? a much, much larger cost to you. feeding four? more money still. lighting a larger tank? way more money than lighting a small tank. plus the water changes on a larger tank will take more of a toll on your water bill than a small tank. and the electricity to run two filters and a larger light...
then what if your fish get sick? fish meds aren't so cheap anymore.

perhaps she's the type that will be more swayed by the economic argument. remind her that fishkeeping is a hobby - aquarist speak for a black hole in your wallet. if you enjoy it as much as we do here, you don't notice so much. but she doesn't sound like she's too enthralled with actual fishkeeping, just the idea of having "a cute little fishy!" and that's going to cost her if she doesn't take a realistic view of it.

good luck, either way, and kudos to you for doing your homework! your fish will be much happier for your knowledge no matter what happens. :goldfish:

hey forum members, where's the photo of that giant 9- or 10-inch black oranda? that could definitely help his argument...

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
^ agreed with above. Its kind of hard to tell people the real care on goldfish and have them actually believe you. I have to do it all the time, its sad seeing how neglected goldfish are. Let her read the stunting article and let her know how painful it actually is for the fish, and that if she likes them so much, she should return them, the faster you guys do it the easier it is. When you move into your new house, set up a 55, and get some baby goldfish again and you guys can watch them grow :]

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
agreed with all of the above.
generally if a store pulls their warranty it means they don't expect the fish to survive the warranty period (2 weeks seems normal) and that the fish are being sold into an inhumane and/or unhealthy environment. I know that sounds harsh but its the truth. .
I've seen many things that will say goldfish can grow about an inch a month given the space and the food, neither of which can you provide.
Will all of them survive a year until you can upgrade to the 40+ you need for them? Probably if they survive the first month, however they will still more than likely have a shortened life span from being confined during their developing stages.
Water changes are going to become your best friend, as are ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kits. I suggest you invest in a whole bunch of buckets and prime.
Maybe see if she would like a betta instead of a goldfish? They would survive in the 5.5 much better.

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
I agree with everyone here, as usual. Most of us have been in some sort of starting situation like this. As stated earlier, good for you for doing your homework.

If you need hard copy go to the thread below - "Goldfish anyone?". On post #9 I have a ton of websites listed that will back up everyone here. Plus, it's just good reading.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
this big goldfish is Wilbur.
wilbur was less than an inch when originally purchased and reached this size with a year. the fish around him are all over 3inches in body length (not including tail fin)

hope that can give your girlfriend an idea of the urgency of this matter.

080507 012.JPG

Krutch

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
Well I think we might be getting a Betta or 2 and some tetras instead. This way we can have more beautiful fish like she wants. They seem to be easier for us to take care of in our situation. I am gonna try to convince her to return the goldfish we have or give them to someone else. They are her fish she paid for everything so I can't really tell her what to do. I could always ask my parents if they wouldn't mind holding a 70g tank at there house :)

Anyone know a good place to get a tank? One of the pet stores here has a $150 off on there 77g and 90g bringing them down to $100 and $140. Think that is worth the price? I may be able to convince my parents to hold the fish there and take care of their water on the weekend when I come visit.

If they end up dieing at least the next time I know what we're getting into. I am gonna be setting up a new tank this weekend to begin a Cycle for the betta tank. Got any tips please let me know! I am looking to maybe get 2 female Bettas and a few different types of tetras and plecos. Any particular types you would recommend?

itsjustclair

AC Members
Oct 7, 2007
I had a 30g and I've had female bettas b4. They advise 4-5 females together b/c they feel safer. but in a 5 g that would not be a good idea. In that 30g I also had neon tetras, male beta and mickey mouse platties. In a 5g just do the male beta they are colorful and fancy looking and can handle the limited amount of space as well as Idk how ur gf is on cleaning a tank but they can take alot of crap. Also the female betas are not very colorful and can be very ugly. By the way things sound she won't be so interested in them. If you up grade to a 10g you can have the male beta and some neon tetras their fast enough to get away from the beta and bright enough for your gf.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store