My GF's 10gal Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Well...

I think both my girlfriend and I have come down with a disease...

The doctor said it was MTS... I'm afraid he might be right...

Here is our newest adventure! My 10gal quarantine has been sitting in my linen closet while I dream about a small softie tank... Well, my girlfriend was sick and tired of her "personality-less FW fish..." (I know I'm going to get crap for that...) So we returned them to the LFS to embark on her first SW experience!!

Well, we thoroughly cleaned out her 10gal FW tank, and proceeded to get about 19 lbs of LR from the LFS...

As a little starting gift, i got her two 50/50 20 watt CFs that screw into her existing incandescent sockets...

So we rinsed off the LR, and put it in the tank... With no sand for a day so that remaining debris could fall off the rock with the current and settle to the bottom to be siphoned out later before adding sand...

We then mixed our SW and filled the tank. I had an Aquaclear 50 from my quarantine sitting around, and my visitherm-stealth which were better than her Aquaclear 20 and unneccessarily huge POS heater that were in her FW tank... We used the aquaclear 50 not as a fuge, but as a chemical cleaning station if you will... I am running Phos-Ban and Carbon 24/7 in my 30gal Reef, with great results (granted im using RO/DI), and without the possibility of using RO/DI here at her place, the use of these two is going to be much more beneficial then putting a couple small pieces of LRR in there...

So here is what we have now:

10gal AGA tank
Aquaclear 50 - running with Carbon, Phos-ban (soon), and Sponge (mechanical filtration).
Visitherm Stealth 50? maybe 100 watt heater
TopFin Powerhead 50 ~ 190gph..
Standard AGA all-in-one hood
2 - 20watt 50/50 CF bulbs

Here are some pics after we siphoned the debris and added the sand.. It was totally clear, but then I found an Aipastia so I took that rock out, and poured a whole pot of boiling water on it... (I think its gone...) I figured it was too soon to kill anything valuable... But taking that rock out and putting it back in is the reason for the cloudy water... Anyway.. Here are the first pics!

Here are some pics without the sand...

... Photobucket is not working right now...

I will have them ASAP!!!

Here they are:

pre sand

just added the sand!

sand is settling... almost clear!

for christmas, depending or her research and wants/coral needs... she might be getting the 96watt coralift PC light... that is if she wants SPS... right now, she can keep most softies especailly zoas and mushrooms and frogspawn with her current lighting (4 wpg)

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Looks very well indeed...Personaly, i would break up the very large chunk of live rock to help even out the structure more, however its personal preference..

with great results (granted im using RO/DI), and without the possibility of using RO/DI here at her place, the use of these two is going to be much more beneficial then putting a couple small pieces of LRR in there...
You mention she does not have an RO/DI there...why not just buy a water carrier for her and supply her with RO from yourself if you have your on RO/DI unit....just a thought...

Looks like it should be a great little tank for her...good stuff...

Niko

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
hahha i will i will don't worry.... i didn't even think of a water carrier... i was just thinking home depot buckets spilling everywhere lol...

as for that rock... we saw it at the lfs and it was our favorite one... so we built our design around that... the right side of that big rock is like a huge shelf.. so lots of coral options there.. and it helps create a ton of caves... we like the open look!

grins,
as of right now she likes it... but i totally agree with you, it will probably be changed multiple times... i mean i changed mine countless times too!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Home depot sells 5 gallon jugs that I believe go on top of those water machine doo-hickeys. I think the jug filled is like $10 or something.

Would probably make for a GREAT water carrier.

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Im lucky!!!

Water:

Ammo - .50-.75
Trites - .25-.50
Trates - 15-20

Well its coming along!!

We are thinking about two stocking options...

A:
1 ocellaris clown
1 clown goby/watchman goby

B:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 clown goby/watchman goby

We would love to have two clowns, but at the same time, that is just that much more work in a small 10... 1 clown is probably pushing it...

Im thinking going the 1 clown and 1 goby route...

What do you guys think??? Any other options im not thinking of??? We don't really like the firefish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store