Bought 180 gal tank, now what filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

femurphy77

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
I just recently stole a 180 gallon tank, stand, several filters and powerheads. This was formerly a salt setup so it has a wet/dry filter, a couple of hang on the back of the tank filters, a protein skimmer and assorted other small goodies with it. I'm planning on setting this up as a freshwater tank but am not sure what to do about filtration. Should/can I use the wet/dry setup or should I look at a more traditional filter system for this tank. None of the hang-on filters that I received with this purchase are of sufficient capacity to filter this tank properly, even if I use more than one. I've had a 75 gallon setup for years but am new to a tank that is big enough to bathe in!! Thanks!!

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I'd keep the powerheads, sump & pump. Fill sump section 1 w/ nylon potscrubbers, put floss in last section, put ceramic media in any intervening sections. Leave a little room in last section for occasional use of a nylon stuffed w/ carbon.

That will work, at least initially, for most any FW thing you want to do. From this point, it's going to be a function of what you want to put in the tank and, if it is to be planted, whether you go NPT or high-tech...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
for a large tank like this a sump is the way to go. how you set it up depends on the layout of the sump. use powerheads to keep water moving in any deadspots,

Is this tank drilled for the sump with built in overflows?

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
Personally, I'd give to me because I'd love a tank like that. (I'd have to give up the couch to have room for it, but some sacrifices have to be made.) If the tanks not drilled for an overflow system, you could just buy a canister and go that way. I'd use the sump myself if the tank's already set up that way. I would make sure you rinse the tank and sump out thoroughly to get rid of any salt left behind before you use it.

femurphy77

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
The tank isn't drilled but if I'm understanding the components that came with it there is an over the top overflow unit, and Chinnp just to make matters worse I paid $250 for everything including two 5 gal buckets of sea salt. Now you know why I said I stole it. We thoroughly washed the tank 3 times, once on 3 consecutive days and all of the in-tank hardware is currently soaking in a tub of tap water. I plan on setting it up, filling it and allowing it to run fish free for several weeks partially to allow the thing to cycle and partially a time issue.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
$250??? I'm gonna spend the rest of day, no, the rest of the week hating you. Hope you're happy. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store