Powder Brown Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Anybody have one ?
Likes/dislikes ?
Are they ich magnets too?

I purchased one today and left him at the LFS. Eventually he will be going into a 75gal with a Blue Hippo Tang.

Actually I bought a Powder Brown about 2 months back ,acclimated him for about 3 hours and he died after putting him in the tank after about 2 hours,so this is the replacement fish. The guy at the lfs would have given me full store credit too..

I would love to hear from those who have or have had these fish and give me their thoughts.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I don't quite understand the whole ich magnet thing. If you use proper qt for livestock it is possible to have an ich free tank and it doesn't really matter if some fish are more prone to show signs of it or not.

I'd personally have skipped the powder brown in a 75 though, especially with a hippo already in there. What do you feel the last one died of? Did it have any visible wounds?

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I beg to dissagree with grins having 4 tangs of my own, I have the blue hippo who ALWAYS breaks out with ich, I have QT her did meds, did hypo, it always goes away and once back in the original tank she gets it again, No aggressive tankmates ( I think she IS my agresive fish) plenty of room plenty of hiding spaces plenty of food, I had a power brown that dies as well I think b/c I qt it for 2 weeks in a 10G before putting it in a 40 it did better in the 40 but while in there it died and never got a chance to go to my display tank. My buddy got one as well and put it in a 150G died a few weeks later, Id personally skip out on the brown AND the hippo.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Did you allow the display to go fallow?

I agree with you on this. If Ich breaks out once in the display it will remain in there even if it isn't showing itself. Once the fish becomes stressed it can break out with the ich, you can treat it as many times as you want but until you pull all fish from your system, treat every single one, and leave your tank empty for I believe it was 6 weeks (someone correct me on this as I haven't had to do it yet), then you can have an ich free tank.

As for adding a powder brown, honestly I wouldn't. I'd already feel bad for having a hippo tang in a 75. I have a tomini tang in my 90, and that is big enough for me. They want a lot more swimming room than your average 4 foot tank can give. I stuck with a small tang for this reason.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Back to the OP's question, i personaly feel that all powder species of tang should NOT be kept in the home aquaria. There is plenty of evidence on these forums alone of the ammount of people who have brought one of these and have it die not long after they brought it, and some of them are advanced aquarists..I feel that these are one of the most fragile of fish that are put on offer to us, the fishkeepers.

Yes, they are beautfull, have great personality, but, lets see them colours and personality out in the ocean where these types of tang belong..

Niko

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Did you allow the display to go fallow?
No I did not allow the tank to go fallow.
At the time I had no other place to move the fish,now I do.

I did however hypo the entire tank,rock and all(I know)
Wouldn't this kill off Ich if it were on the rock and in the sand?

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I beg to dissagree with grins having 4 tangs of my own, I have the blue hippo who ALWAYS breaks out with ich, I have QT her did meds, did hypo, it always goes away and once back in the original tank she gets it again, No aggressive tankmates ( I think she IS my agresive fish) plenty of room plenty of hiding spaces plenty of food, I had a power brown that dies as well I think b/c I qt it for 2 weeks in a 10G before putting it in a 40 it did better in the 40 but while in there it died and never got a chance to go to my display tank. My buddy got one as well and put it in a 150G died a few weeks later, Id personally skip out on the brown AND the hippo.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I already have the Hippo.
Also it is a Yellow Belly and I am going to try to keep this fish.
The Powder Brown is the one on hold.
The guy at the LFS will give me full credit on the one that died so I really don't have to get another Brown,thus my asking the question for those with experience with these fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store