Purigen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Malak

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
I got a 250ml bottle of purigen with "thebag" from seachem and I'm reading the instructions and it says to just rinse it before putting it in your tank. Do you guys just rinse the purigen when it's new? Do you do something else to it?

Thanks!

Malak

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
Ah alright but I don't need to put anything else in it. I thought that maybe I had to soak it in something else.

Good idea to put the bag at the top of my eheim canister? (last thing that touches the water before going back into the tank) And should I leave all my pads (white,blue and black) in the filter even with the bag of purigen in it?

How do you attach the bag, with only that tie wrap that came with it?

Thanks for the answer, that was quite fast :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What I remember is you soak it in bleach to "reactivate " the purigen after it has been used a while (then dechlorinate). I would use a final fine filter pad after the purigen to capture any particles in a cannister filter before water returns to the tank. The pads are for particles, the purigen (or carbon) is for chemical filtration. It's all good but don't learn to rely on the chemical adsorbers, water changes are best.

Malak

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah I know, I'm still gonna do my bi weekly water changes, I just want clearer water.

Thanks!

jmarsh3253

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
I put a microfilter pad as the last "step" with the Purigen right before it in my Rena XP3. I just put it in the bag and swish it around in some tank water. Never had a problem with any particulate from the Purigen getting into the water. FWIW, I can't tell any difference in water clarity vs the Marineland Black Diamond carbon I use, but it's rechargable so maybe less cost over the long run.

Malak

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
I did one of my weekly water changes yesterday and added a bag in my filter and the water this morning was absolutely gorgeous, this stuff is awesome.

Can't wait to put my new AC110 filter when I get it in the tank with my Eheim 2217, it'll be even better :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store