Discus Eggs ! !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Well, they did it!
Only problem (for now), is that the eggs are on one of the heaters! Ouch!! We have the heater disconnected - hope not too late...

How long until they hatch?? ...Then what?? :confused:

:)

Hebdizzle

playswithsquirrels
Mar 8, 2003
lol in all the pics the fish are just sitting there staring at the eggs..... waiting for something to happen. BTW congratulations at finally getting them to spawn.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
Congrats Joe! My bet would be they would take about three days to hatch but other than that hopefully someone else can say. Once again congrats!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
No Eggs..

Oh well, I guess I should post a picture of a bare heater with no eggs on it, but the lights and CO2 are on a timer..

I've heard it's rare that the 'parents' will eat their eggs, but it happened. The fish are well fed, so it's not due to under-feeding.

Also, with some research, I found that some are putting small wire mesh around the eggs to make sure they get past the egg stage. Is it less likely the they will be eaten then?? :confused:

...Maybe 2morrow I'll have that nice clean heater pic posted..

Hebdizzle

playswithsquirrels
Mar 8, 2003
sorry to hear that Joe :( Dont worry though, you are a good fishkeeper and I believe you will have more eggs in no time at all.

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
If you are hoping for your discus to raise fry in your community tank then I think you are in for disappointment. If you just want to raise some fry then I suggest you remove the eggs once it is obvious they are finished laying them. You will need a fry tank, maybe a grow out tank.... it gets hairy. Good luck

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by TomFromStLouis
If you are hoping for your discus to raise fry in your community tank then....
It's not really a 'community' tank. The other fish are SAE's and small Tetras. Is that a problem? I thought the fry need the parents for protection and feeding off their slime coat.. :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store